Wyoming Trip

OKbow87

Hey guys its been quite some time since i have posted here. Ive been real busy with school full time and work full time. Anyway a group of us managed to get away from Oklahoma to Wyoming for a 9 day trip.

This was my first antelope ever and man was it a blast. We originally spotted this guy from over a mile in the spotting scopes and decided to take a closer look. After a nice stalk and a hundred yards of belly crawling I had the 257 Weatherby laid across the pack looking at him bedded down at 350 yards on the button. He finally got up to follow his does and took just a few steps to his right. I squeezed off the first shot and clipped the bush right in front of me and hit him a little far back. I quickly moved to the left and loaded another round. I squeezed off the second round and dropped him with a perfect shoulder shot. I am pretty pleased with him especially since he is my first. I havent had him scored yet but I am hoping he will make over 70". Any guesses are greatly appreciated.

My buddy Jay was also able to strech his rifles legs just a bit also. We spotted this nice buck while we were looking for two giants we had gotten on that morning but couldnt seal the deal on. We decided we couldnt pass on him even though we still had another day to try and find the 190+ typical and 180 with a 10" droptine we had been on that morning. Jay made a pretty nice stalk and was laying on the pack right at 441 yards. He dialed up his 700 VSF in 308 and squeezed of a shot. His shot landed low in the chest cavity and broke one of his front legs. The deer got up and made it about 70 yards downhill and bedded again. Jay went ahead and put another one in him for good measure. This was Jay's first muley and I can assure he has been on cloud 9 ever since.

Both of these shots were personal longs for us. My antelpe was taken with a 100 grn tsx and Jay's deer with a 168 vld.

Last edited:
Thanks Len! This was a first trip out west for the both of us. Now we know what all the rage is about. Plans are already being made for next years hunt.

Great animals!!! Congrats on your personal long shots. I've hunted WY every year 1993-2007, with the exception of 1995(hunted NM) and 1998. I guess you could say it's addictive--- at least that's what my wife says.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.