upcoming Texas trip

Your MONARCH 3-12 x42 will get you where you need to go,trust me. You can order a custom turret for it if you like or set your zero and turn knobs to dial in your distance. I have used that same scope to shoot soda cans at 627 yards. For some that's just warming up, but for me that a darn good day! This custom turret is on my .257 Wby mag. Zero is set at 200 yards.

DSC_0894.jpg

well that's good to know are the turrets set up for bullet weight?

well my buddy sent me a message and i got the gun figured out. My buddy said i can take one of his 50 calibers. Yes I said that's what i want is to carry a barret 50 cal semi auto up there with me...maybe if i was target shooting from one mountain top to the other...lol

Oh, my friend WildRose I am still grinnin' over those two. You have been there done that. I do disagree on your scope choice. Up there you can see into next week. If I was going to do it again. I would use a 5.5 to 22 on your 300 mag with the HSM 210 Berger. If I didn't reload. We glassed with 12 and 20 power bino's. If I was going to hunt it on a yearly basis I would definitely invest in a set of Big Eyes. I prefer the bino's to a spotter.. They give me less eye strain. Hopefully, your buddy has hunted this area for years. The deer will use the same areas year after year. Listen to him and hunt those areas. Remember, what I said earlier. Hunt a food plot !!! Hunt and stalk is a lot of fun. However, your odds are GREATLY increased when hunting over food and water.
My problem with high powered binos is trying to get them stable. If you can't lots of people end up getting motion sickness not to mention just going crazy fighting them trying to stabilize them which simply makes it get worse and worse.

I really like the 4-24X Leupold VX-6's. That is just a fantastic power range which covers virtually all hunting situations to a T.

That is a laugh. Lake Meridith in it's prime was a lake with a marina, housing additions, and boat ramps.It is now a mud hole with none of the above. I am guessing you are hunting public land. Everyone and their friends know about it. It will be crawling with hunters. Use them. Hopefully your friend has hunted this area for years and knows where the deer travel. Get to a good spot early early early. Stay put and let them push them to you. Do not be tempted to move around. Let the others do the work for you.
Meredith is back in really good shape.

Lake Levels in Texas, United States

The Meteor has hit.This is exactly why you do not believe everything you hear or read. I was born in Amarillo. Spent 50 years riding dirt bikes, hunting, and fishing the Canadian River and Meredith area. I traveled the whole panhandle. Most of my close friends still live there. Meredith was a great lake and fishery. It even held state records. It is a mere shadow of it's self. They can put whatever number they want as the current lake level. In it's hay day it had a huge marina down by the dam with a restaurant, slips for big boats, fishing pier, and gas. It also had lakeside camp sites and boat ramps with loading docks all around the lake. There were large bait stores on both sides of the lake. The city of Fritch and the housing addition on the east side were booming. It is sad but the party is over for most of the Lakes in the Panhandle. Go to Google earth satellite and try to find the marina and boat ramps. I bet you can find the old water line.

WildRose I am with you on the Leupold VX-6. I would love to have one. The binocular thing is a personal preference. When I was glassing all day in Palo Duro Canyon or the sand hills south and west of Amarillo. I got less eye strain. I still have the 20 power Bushnell's. I had a compact Leupold spotter. I sold it. Yes, the Bushnell's are heavy and yes you have to use a tripod. I was more comfortable and spotted more deer, coyotes, and aoudad than my friends using spotters and 10 and 12 power bin0's. Guess that is why they make Ford's and Chevy's.

WildRose was right it was not a meteor. The Canadian River Authority built Lake Meredith to furnish Amarillo and Lubbock with water. At first they did a great job managing it for it's water, recreation, hunting,and fishing. They allowed the lake to fill to 110 feet deep and keep it there for years. Everything flourished. The town of Fritch exploded with new businesses. New restaurants, motels, and bait shops were opened. New housing additions opened. The town went from 2A to 3A now back to 2A(That is how Texas rates the size of their school sports.) The lake had five star fishing and held state records for walleye, smallmouth, and flat head. One of the most beautiful lakes you have ever seen. Along came years of below average rain fall and a change at the Canadian River Authority. We need to sell more water. Another stroke of genius from of government. Water levels dropped to 35 feet deep and that did not stop them. They spent millions building a new pad and running pipe where they then took the lake on down to 20 feet deep.For years there were no boat ramps open. The marina was leased spaced and they had it removed. The lake has Golden Algae(attaches to the gills and kills fish) therefore no more fish.The Dam has not had water on it in so long they are worried it would not hold under flood. They allowed too much erosion because of lack of water on the ****. The businesses are gone. The housing develop is gone. Now for" Meredith is back in really good shape". They have allowed the lake to rise to 65 feet deep, extended two boat ramps and opened them, and added a few loading slips. So yes sir it is back and we do not have any inflation and the employment rate is 5%. Our government (Canadian River Authority and federal) is wonderful at trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

WildRose I am with you on the Leupold VX-6. I would love to have one. The binocular thing is a personal preference. When I was glassing all day in Palo Duro Canyon or the sand hills south and west of Amarillo. I got less eye strain. I still have the 20 power Bushnell's. I had a compact Leupold spotter. I sold it. Yes, the Bushnell's are heavy and yes you have to use a tripod. I was more comfortable and spotted more deer, coyotes, and aoudad than my friends using spotters and 10 and 12 power bin0's. Guess that is why they make Ford's and Chevy's.
For me really it's about speed, comfort, and carry.

The less I have to carry the faster I can move, more ground I can cover and when I see something interesting to quickly get set up for the shot.

The 4.5-14x50 IOR tacticals I have run a close second but that 2-24 is just an amazing range and you have no clarity issues when maxing out one end and jumping to the other.

Form my "beaters" I'll probably stick with the IOR's and move the VX-6's to the pretty ones.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.