upcoming Texas trip

That is big country up there. I've been all over N and S America and the coldest I have ever been in my life was goose hunting in Amarillo, Tx.! If you want to get some waterfowl hunting in while up there drop me a note and I can hook you up with some guides. I'd go with the .300 Win just for the heavier projectile. Not sure what you mean by Nikon scope can't shoot long-range. Check out the New PROSTAFF 7/MONARCH 7 30mm tubes form Nikon, plenty of internal adjustment to get your bullet where it needs to be. I would defintely invest in a good rangefinder and 10x bino's and maybe a spotting scope so that you can harvest a nice trophy buck.

That is big country up there. I've been all over N and S America and the coldest I have ever been in my life was goose hunting in Amarillo, Tx.! If you want to get some waterfowl hunting in while up there drop me a note and I can hook you up with some guides. I'd go with the .300 Win just for the heavier projectile. Not sure what you mean by Nikon scope can't shoot long-range. Check out the New PROSTAFF 7/MONARCH 7 30mm tubes form Nikon, plenty of internal adjustment to get your bullet where it needs to be. I would defintely invest in a good rangefinder and 10x bino's and maybe a spotting scope so that you can harvest a nice trophy buck.

my nikon that i got on my 308 is not a high power scope.. i know other nikons can just not mine.

As an old cowpuncher buddy of mine liked to say, "Barbed Wire don't do much to slow down the wind".

The chill factors in Amarillo in Dec, Jan, Feb, early March can be flat brutal.

When it's down below freezing and you have winds blowing 20-50pmh you simply can't put on enough clothes to keep warm.

We used to get an annual "Opening Weekend Blizzard" nearly every year for the pheasant opener. I can remember back in the late seventies watching the Live weather from Clovis showing sub 0 temps with winds in excess of 25mp while we were getting dressed for the morning hunt.

my nikon that i got on my 308 is not a high power scope.. i know other nikons can just not mine.
You can shoot a very long ways with a 10x scope. You do need a good spotting scope for target ID and studying racks but a quality 10x will shoot as far as you can.

I have 20-25x on the high end of my long range scopes but that's mainly just because it saves me having to tote a spotter in the field.

Oh, my friend WildRose I am still grinnin' over those two. You have been there done that. I do disagree on your scope choice. Up there you can see into next week. If I was going to do it again. I would use a 5.5 to 22 on your 300 mag with the HSM 210 Berger. If I didn't reload. We glassed with 12 and 20 power bino's. If I was going to hunt it on a yearly basis I would definitely invest in a set of Big Eyes. I prefer the bino's to a spotter.. They give me less eye strain. Hopefully, your buddy has hunted this area for years. The deer will use the same areas year after year. Listen to him and hunt those areas. Remember, what I said earlier. Hunt a food plot !!! Hunt and stalk is a lot of fun. However, your odds are GREATLY increased when hunting over food and water.

Oh, my friend WildRose I am still grinnin' over those two. You have been there done that. I do disagree on your scope choice. Up there you can see into next week. If I was going to do it again. I would use a 5.5 to 22 on your 300 mag with the HSM 210 Berger. If I didn't reload. We glassed with 12 and 20 power bino's. If I was going to hunt it on a yearly basis I would definitely invest in a set of Big Eyes. I prefer the bino's to a spotter.. They give me less eye strain. Hopefully, your buddy has hunted this area for years. The deer will use the same areas year after year. Listen to him and hunt those areas. Remember, what I said earlier. Hunt a food plot !!! Hunt and stalk is a lot of fun. However, your odds are GREATLY increased when hunting over food and water.

Lake Meridith is where we will be hunting so I know there is water there.

That is a laugh. Lake Meridith in it's prime was a lake with a marina, housing additions, and boat ramps.It is now a mud hole with none of the above. I am guessing you are hunting public land. Everyone and their friends know about it. It will be crawling with hunters. Use them. Hopefully your friend has hunted this area for years and knows where the deer travel. Get to a good spot early early early. Stay put and let them push them to you. Do not be tempted to move around. Let the others do the work for you.

That is a laugh. Lake Meridith in it's prime was a lake with a marina, housing additions, and boat ramps.It is now a mud hole with none of the above. I am guessing you are hunting public land. Everyone and their friends know about it. It will be crawling with hunters. Use them. Hopefully your friend has hunted this area for years and knows where the deer travel. Get to a good spot early early early. Stay put and let them push them to you. Do not be tempted to move around. Let the others do the work for you.

He has hunter that before and he knows to get up on top of the ridges and wait.

Forget everything we have told you. Way too many hunters to be shooting long range. What you have will work. Here is what the deer would do years ago. Like I said a lot of things have changed. Cover where the Canadian River ran into the lake was very thick includiing willows. They bedded here and drank from pot holes. Early and late they would filter out onto the adjoining ranches planted in wheat. They will use these same travel routes year after year. There will be a lot of hunters. Make you a ground blind watching one of these routes off the bluff out of mesquite. Get there early,stay all day, stay late. Hunters will be pushing them all day do not be one of them.Try Google Earth to find wheat fields. Take a coyote call and plenty of wind proof clothing. All the Best.
PS--Do not fall for the steak at the Big Texan.

Forget everything we have told you. Way too many hunters to be shooting long range. What you have will work. Here is what the deer would do years ago. Like I said a lot of things have changed. Cover where the Canadian River ran into the lake was very thick includiing willows. They bedded here and drank from pot holes. Early and late they would filter out onto the adjoining ranches planted in wheat. They will use these same travel routes year after year. There will be a lot of hunters. Make you a ground blind watching one of these routes off the bluff out of mesquite. Get there early,stay all day, stay late. Hunters will be pushing them all day do not be one of them.Try Google Earth to find wheat fields. Take a coyote call and plenty of wind proof clothing. All the Best.
PS--Do not fall for the steak at the Big Texan.

but i like steak...lol yeah i got no problem sitting and waiting i will look at more maps as it gets closer and find out where we will be setting up.

Your MONARCH 3-12 x42 will get you where you need to go,trust me. You can order a custom turret for it if you like or set your zero and turn knobs to dial in your distance. I have used that same scope to shoot soda cans at 627 yards. For some that's just warming up, but for me that a darn good day! This custom turret is on my .257 Wby mag. Zero is set at 200 yards.

DSC_0894.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.