upcoming Texas trip

falconew

thinking of going to Amarillo,Tx this fall for a deer and mule deer hunt. i currently own a savage model 10 in 308 with a bull barrel and a nikon scope. i know that nikon is not capable of long range and that bull barrel is heavy to carry around. I have been thinking of a bigger caliber for 1000 yard plinking. i was looking at the savage 10 Ba but thinking i will need a lighter weight gun for backpacking up there. so what is a good light weight gun and a good reach out and kill bullet for them deer and mules? for the scope i was looking at the Vortex Viper PST 6x24x50.

I would also like some tips for doing this hunt as well since i never have been out there before. I am going with a good friend that lives out there.

You could always just re-barrel your current rifle with one of the many fine prefits being offered today. Being a short action will limit you somewhat, but a 6.5 Creedmoor would make a great 1000 yard gun and be plenty capable for whitetail and muleys. Bullet choices are endless, with companies like Berger, Hornady, and Matrix all making great longrange hunting bullets. Something like a X-caliber #5, Bartlein #3, Brux #4 type contour would make for a great carry rifle weight but still have good stability. I would probably go with a stock change as well, Manner elite hunter on the high end or a B&C Alaskan on the cheaper side. Scope you choose should be a good fit as well. I would also suggest a 20 MOA base as that scope runs out of adjustment pretty quickly. I can't help on hunting Amarillo, but would like to know what you find out about chasing muleys, as I'm south Texas and would like to the same some day.

I was thinking of the barrel swap on this gun but i would have to change the barrel and stock so i might as well look at a new gun. Don't we all want a new gun. my friend out there uses a 300 win mag. i might look at that or a 7mm.

If going with an all new gun I would look at the Savage and Remington long range hunter models. Something in 7mm or 30 cal will fit your needs well. Even though I'm a Savage guy, I would probably lean towards the Remington Long Range as you get a much better stock. Put a brake on it, I like Muscle Brakes, but there's plenty of good ones out there and call it good.

Get more info from your friend. If you are hunting out of a blind over a food plot you might be good to go. That is probably the best way to insure success. If you spot and stalk. Driving around glassing in and out the canyon breaks shoots can be long. If you do this you will need a good shooting rifle, good 12x bino's, and a good scope up to 24 power. You will not believe how hard it is to spot them in what seems to be open country. Your friend should be able to point you in the right direction.

Get more info from your friend. If you are hunting out of a blind over a food plot you might be good to go. That is probably the best way to insure success. If you spot and stalk. Driving around glassing in and out the canyon breaks shoots can be long. If you do this you will need a good shooting rifle, good 12x bino's, and a good scope up to 24 power. You will not believe how hard it is to spot them in what seems to be open country. Your friend should be able to point you in the right direction.

we will be out in the open spotting and stalking. Yes i know good glass and a good pair of bino's i do got an anniversary coming up lol. i was looking at a good round with enough energy at 1000 and less i am doing research and starting to look and the 300. But which 300 WM,RUM i reload so that's not a problem there i can always dial it in.

Do not forget a bipod the binos will get heavy. The 300 Rum with the 230's are the ticket with a brake. You do not need it to knock them down, however, it will pay for itself in spades when it comes to bucking the wind. Chances are 20 mph plus wind.

Do not forget a bipod the binos will get heavy. The 300 Rum with the 230's are the ticket with a brake. You do not need it to knock them down, however, it will pay for itself in spades when it comes to bucking the wind. Chances are 20 mph plus wind.[/QUOTE

I was looking at the Cadwell Shooting pod that's what my buddy carries. i know weight will be an issue so i will start walking around and training with a heavy back back. As far as bino's i need to look and getting a good pair of them.

I would also say 300 win mag would be my choice. As for bios I feel you have lots of options. I have had zero problems with my nikons classing for things at range they are 10x. Once found sporting scope to make sure. Vortex also makes nice bios.

thinking of going to Amarillo,Tx this fall for a deer and mule deer hunt. i currently own a savage model 10 in 308 with a bull barrel and a nikon scope. i know that nikon is not capable of long range and that bull barrel is heavy to carry around. I have been thinking of a bigger caliber for 1000 yard plinking. i was looking at the savage 10 Ba but thinking i will need a lighter weight gun for backpacking up there. so what is a good light weight gun and a good reach out and kill bullet for them deer and mules? for the scope i was looking at the Vortex Viper PST 6x24x50.

I would also like some tips for doing this hunt as well since i never have been out there before. I am going with a good friend that lives out there.
300wm shooting 180-210gr bullets is tough to beat if you like the .30 cal's.

I have a good buddy in Amarillo that always goes down East of Roswell, NM for his annual Mulie Hunt but I know there are some very good bucks within a short drive from AMA.

Good luck.

Practice your wind calls. A 'calm' day in Amarillo has winds of 10-15mph. 30-40 mph is fairly common.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts