Wyoming Booner

bigbrother

I was fortunate enough to take this goat with SnS Outfitters last October. After a lengthy chase covering about 3 1/2 miles I was finally able to make the shot right before dark. The shot was 409 yards across a deep valley with a slight right to left wind. He was quartering slightly but my 7mag put the bullet right where it was supposed to and he never even twitched. My guide was exstatic as this was the buck he was hoping to get us on and it squeezed into the book with horns that made 17" and 16 6/8".

Attachments

• ant1.jpg
    ant1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 151
Thanks guys. Yes, I was very pleased to say the least. My guide had me passing on bucks all day long that looked super to me. I would have been more than happy with quite a few of them. He knew this buck was in the area though so we looked until we found him. This picture is from some video I took of a buck that I passed on right before lunch time. I thought my guide was nuts as we watched him for over twenty minutes. He was chasing the does and eventually closed from about 500 yards out to about 90 where I took over 5 minutes of video of them.

Attachments

• CHASER 3.JPG
    CHASER 3.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 131
The guide would had to of pulled my rifle from my hands in order for me not to shoot that one.

Sy runs a good outfit! I was on a horseback mulie hunt back in 1994 with SnS when he was still working full time at the Casper Fire Department and a few of his guides worked there with him. He now has the biggest outfitting business for pronghorn in the West and the biggest overall in Wyoming. That was a nice buck the guide got you on and you sealed the deal. Good going and Congratulations on a great goat!

Sounds like you found the right man for the job-he was very persistent and put you on a good one! Grats on a heck of shot and a great goat!

Thanks guys. It was day one of a 3 day hunt and we looked at 4 other goats that he thought would make the book. The one in the photo being the second really good one. He kept running the numbers in his head and in the end said he couldn't find anything wrong with him but he still thought we should pass in order to find the other one.

We were hunting on horseback so we covered lots of ground and looked at a lot of goats. It all seemed like it was going to be really simple until we decided we were going to actually take one of them. Then it turned into an all out race for awhile. The closest we got was right when I took the shot. I was set up to take the shot at 558 at one point but some does in the group went squirrely and took the entire herd over the ridge out of sight. In the end it made it a much better hunt with the chase.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.