Wyoming

frostop

Is it worth driving to wyoming from idaho to scout areas or just put in for a tag and risk it???
I am thinking unit 17 at the moment, I've got 5 preference points and it appears I can draw a tag for 17.

Gary

I am just a little concerned that some of the roads that appear to be public, may actually not be??
I've heard of some instances that guys have been down there and roads that appear to be public on a map actually are not, something about the county not maintaining them anymore and as a result are no longer public and the ranchers take control of them.

Seems like there should be some rules/laws that allow access to blm or state but it seems that is not the case.

The link above is from a few years ago. What you need to know is the winter kill was significant in 22-23. This winter has been favorable. I live in Gillette. South of town I'm still seeing reasonable numbers. West of town on I-90 I've seen very few. East a reasonable number. Talk to the local F@G biologists. Good luck.
Bruce

Ha, at least you live in Idaho.
I'm planning on doing it from Pennsylvania.

I have no clue which of the three zones to try for.

West is that much further of a drive.
East seems like a lot of private.
South seems like a lot of wilderness areas.

ste7mag, I've put a couple of calls into a couple of the unit biologist's. The gentlemen that has unit 21 suggested using Wyoming's hunt planner which I did try and appears to work pretty well as far as showing percentages of access, draw odds in relation to preference points etc.
Gohunt was giving me different information than it was. I would think that the wyoming info would be more accurate.

I'm probably going to just put in for a certain unit and see what happens and if I draw try and go scout, he said some of the areas may be difficult to get into this time of the year due to road conditions.

I definitely recommend calling the specific biologist's if you have time.

You may want to check regulations for wilderness areas. I'm pretty sure NR need a guide or be hunting with a resident.
Yeah, i already found that out.
With my budget, I'm definitely NOT going with a guide!!
$4,000 for a guided hunt for cow elk, 4 days is only achievable if I win the lottery.

Mostly the hunt is to put meat in the freezer. Along with the experience of course.
But at $4,000, I'm cheaper off buying a side of beef.

Check the available public land in the area you want to hunt. BLM, NF, State, etc. A call to the area biologist is a great idea too. Also, some ranches will allow a trespass fee that usually aren't too expensive. Most of the ranches we have hunted have refunded our money after we tagged out on doe antelope. One ranch charged the 5 of us $600 to access the ranch. We brought in 10 dead antelope and the ranch owner gave us our money back and we have a great place to hunt for free now. Don't be afraid to knock on doors and talk. Good luck.

You may want to check regulations for wilderness areas. I'm pretty sure NR need a guide or be hunting with a resident.
You don't need to go in wilderness to hunt antelope in WY. Avoid the red desert and Sublette county herds, they were decimated last year from a bad winter on their winter range and pneumonia outbreaks. Near total fawn kill and around 70% adult. They fared much better in the eastern areas.

Yes, I have Onyx. Probably going to put in for 17 and see what happens. I was going to try and make a trip out there this summer just to take a look at the possibilities but it not looking like I will have time.

True, but antelope typically roam the flat sage type country. Public land is usually managed by BLM and not wilderness. The Forest Service manage the wilderness areas and typically don't hold the hearts of lopes. The BLM may have weird wilderness study areas…something to look out for…and what the state requires in those areas. By in large, you should be good to go for most public land for antelope in WY.