Wyoming 1 Mile shoot!

Xphunter Thanks for the reply. My goal is Silhouette shooting. ever since I read an article in Guns mag 2008 annual about silhouette shooting in Raton NM I,ve been burning up the Internet I really like brownings 1885 hw, but the Sharps has proven it's self time and again. Can a 1885 stand up to a Sharp?

i can't answer your questions about those types of rifles.

xphunter

Just what do you mean by 'stand up'; mechanically or accuracy wise??

I shoot both types.....and they BOTH perform excellently; very accurate and dependable! It may just be that the HiWalls have a slight advantage in accuracy over the 1874 Sharps because of the hammer location. On HW the hammer is centerline of the action whereas the '74 has the hammer on the side of the action! HiWalls have a little more intricate engineering possibly and by that I basically mean that it is generally easier to pull the breech-block out of the action on the Sharps rather than the HW and I think it's a little faster to change out a broken firing pin on the Sharps than the HW! Other than that......not much difference! Championship matches at major events have been won with both types of actions! I have several '74 Sharps rifles and 3 HW rifles and when push comes to shove.....give me either one and I feel I can hold my own! Nothing wrong with the 1885 Browning HW at all; good shooters all IMO! As for further advice...if you opt ever for a '74 Sharps....ain't but one way to go and that's with Shiloh Sharps out of Big Timber, Montana! Kirk Bryan and bunch....build FANTASTIC RIFLES! You're only 'going around once' in this ole world...so opt for THE BEST!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Xphunter Thanks for the reply. My goal is Silhouette shooting. ever since I read an article in Guns mag 2008 annual about silhouette shooting in Raton NM I,ve been burning up the Internet I really like brownings 1885 hw, but the Sharps has proven it's self time and again. Can a 1885 stand up to a Sharp?

troy.teston

Just what do you mean by 'stand up'; mechanically or accuracy wise??

I shoot both types.....and they BOTH perform excellently; very accurate and dependable! It may just be that the HiWalls have a slight advantage in accuracy over the 1874 Sharps because of the hammer location. On HW the hammer is centerline of the action whereas the '74 has the hammer on the side of the action! HiWalls have a little more intricate engineering possibly and by that I basically mean that it is generally easier to pull the breech-block out of the action on the Sharps rather than the HW and I think it's a little faster to change out a broken firing pin on the Sharps than the HW! Other than that......not much difference! Championship matches at major events have been won with both types of actions! I have several '74 Sharps rifles and 3 HW rifles and when push comes to shove.....give me either one and I feel I can hold my own! Nothing wrong with the 1885 Browning HW at all; good shooters all IMO! As for further advice...if you opt ever for a '74 Sharps....ain't but one way to go and that's with Shiloh Sharps out of Big Timber, Montana! Kirk Bryan and bunch....build FANTASTIC RIFLES! You're only 'going around once' in this ole world...so opt for THE BEST!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.