WOW! LRH Join date ...

FEENIX

Join Date: 12-20-2008 ... time sure flies when you're having fun. Learned so much through the years ... thanks to all the members that are always willing and able to help.

Merry Christmas and a safe Happy New Year to all!

Ed

Join Date: 12-20-2008 ... time sure flies when you're having fun. Learned so much through the years ... thanks to all the members that are always willing and able to help.

Merry Christmas and a safe Happy New Year to all!

Ed

Wow is right. Just checked the profile and the join date was 1-28-2008. Probably poked around for a year before that.

Merry Xmas to everyone!

Join date 1-20-2004. Shot for member # 2000. Missed.....as usual.

I know less about more than I did then.

Been a fun ride.

Merry Christmas to all....

May 2001 for me. Back then it was very difficult to learn the nuts and bolts of long range shooting and hunting. For years before LRH.com, I would check the titles monthly as the national print magazines came out, hoping for in-depth articles with detailed info.

Prior to 2001 there were several forum sites that were pretty basicly talking about hunting and shooting. I remember so clearly when I shot my first "long range" deer - at 459 yards. That was long back in the 1990's

I had been bowhunting the edges of my marsh which was kept by me as a sanctuary bedding area for the deer. We never went in there after early summer. We wanted to bucks to stay on our land and not migrate to the neighbor's land.

Anyway, after many sessions on bow stands at the edge of the marsh waiting for the bucks to walk close to my stand, I could see bucks in the marsh stand up from their bedding areas in the late evening and eventually make their way out toward the food.

We always tried to figure out how to setup in the magic spot but they had so many different exit routes that any one was just random.

One day I thought to myself -- if i could shoot my rifle that far accurately, during the later rifle season I could drill one from my stand as it got up from its afternoon nap.

I worked hard on my reloading to improve the 7 RM accuracy on the Tikka factory rifle and eventually was ready. That November I killed a buck at 459 yards, my farthest to date.

I was excited with what I had learned and wanted to share my joy online with others. I posted my story at a couple sites I frequented -- and I was just blasted by the negative thinking anti-long range hunters. Other guys were having the same bad experience as I.

After a year or two of this, I decided the only answer was to start my own forum site. And LRH was born in April or May of 2001.

Finally a sanctuary where long range hunters could go to share and learn without being lambasted by idiots. You guys were all so generous in sharing and I have learned so much from you over the years. And shared a bit of my own growing knowledge as well.

Thanks to all of you so very, very, very much!

Here is a link to the Feature Article about my first long range deer.

459 Yard Buck

459-yard-buck-002.jpg

May 2001 for me. Back then it was very difficult to learn the nuts and bolts of long range shooting and hunting. For years before LRH.com, I would check the titles monthly as the national print magazines came out, hoping for in-depth articles with detailed info.

Prior to 2001 there were several forum sites that were pretty basicly talking about hunting and shooting. I remember so clearly when I shot my first "long range" deer - at 459 yards. That was long back in the 1990's

I had been bowhunting the edges of my marsh which was kept by me as a sanctuary bedding area for the deer. We never went in there after early summer. We wanted to bucks to stay on our land and not migrate to the neighbor's land.

Anyway, after many sessions on bow stands at the edge of the marsh waiting for the bucks to walk close to my stand, I could see bucks in the marsh stand up from their bedding areas in the late evening and eventually make their way out toward the food.

We always tried to figure out how to setup in the magic spot but they had so many different exit routes that any one was just random.

One day I thought to myself -- if i could shoot my rifle that far accurately, during the later rifle season I could drill one from my stand as it got up from its afternoon nap.

I worked hard on my reloading to improve the 7 RM accuracy on the Tikka factory rifle and eventually was ready. That November I killed a buck at 459 yards, my farthest to date.

I was excited with what I had learned and wanted to share my joy online with others. I posted my story at a couple sites I frequented -- and I was just blasted by the negative thinking anti-long range hunters. Other guys were having the same bad experience as I.

After a year or two of this, I decided the only answer was to start my own forum site. And LRH was born in April or May of 2001.

Finally a sanctuary where long range hunters could go to share and learn without being lambasted by idiots. You guys were all so generous in sharing and I have learned so much from you over the years. And shared a bit of my own growing knowledge as well.

Thanks to all of you so very, very, very much!

Here is a link to the Feature Article about my first long range deer.

459 Yard Buck

459-yard-buck-002.jpg
What a great forum Len.
I am a member of a few others but I don't visit them as much as as I do here. This is by far the best forum on the web. What a great bunch of people.. I'm happy to be part of it..
Bill Gohring.

+1, also 2008. It's been a wealth of knowledge and and a lot of great people. Special thanks to Len for having the insight and ambition to bring such a valuable asset to the Long Range Shooting community.
Wishing all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Art

Len,

I had no idea that when I joined the LRH site that it was merely the beginning of such an interesting and growing trend. Thanks to this site I acquired the knowledge, skill and enthusiasm to take my first varmint (groundhog) at 1,000 yds, a feat that I would have otherwise thought was impossible. Yeah, it took me a long time to work my way out that far but it sure was rewarding to make a one-shot connection at that distance when I finally achieved the ability to do so.
Personal thanks goes out to you for maintaining the best longrange hunting site where shooters of common interest can share their knowledge and opposing positions can be discussed in a civil manner.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.