Worthless meathunter

Best 'off beat' wild game I ever ate. I was helping a couple guys find some Mule Deer in Eastern Utah.

We had spotted a nice 4x4 (28"+) and we got all setup. I worked my way around the point to move him so one of the guys could get a shot. I was about half way around the point and BANG! Great, one down, one to go.

I get over there and here he is with a Bobcat!, he said "Sure I saw the buck, but I couldn't pass up the Bobcat".

Well the other feller had spent his childhood in Mexico and said "Get it skinned, we'll eat it for dinner." I skinned it up for the shooter (he wanted to get it tanned). I quartered it up like you would a chicken and we cooked it over a cedar fire. Each quarter skewered on a stick with a little salt. I'm telling you, my mouth is watering right now just remembering it (and it was nearly 25 years ago). It was without a doubt the finest camp meat I've EVER had. Better than quail, chukar, Venison fillet etc. The meat was very white and tasted like the finest grouse dinner you can imagine. I've been told young mountain lion is good as well.

Don

"but couldnt get the picture of a over grown rat out of my head" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif **** I had to clean up the coffe I spit on the floor.

As for the crows, most around our farm know when the deer feeders go off and sit and wait for the corn breakfast. They should be pretty sweet.

On the robins, might have had a dream once that I did a similar thing as a youth, and had to clean them for supper as well. Similar experience with the giant flocks of blackbirds and a 410 shotgun. Seems I heard you could hit quite a few as they come up off the ground in the tight bunches. Looks like it would work but can say out loud that I ever did it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I got an email once from a guy requesting recipes for coyote /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif , I'll eat about anything but not felines, dog like canines, possums or skunks. I like turtle, rattlesnake tastes like "fishy" chicken. not eating a crow either, is it better than eagle? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
JS

Jimm,
I get the feeling BB was cracking up all the time from the cooking to the picture taking and posting!!!

Well if it were my Grandmother's kitchen there would be no telling what hit the skillet. After my Grandfather passed, she brought up 10 kids through the end of the depression and if it had fins, feathers, or fur, she had a way to cook it. One of her specialties was softshell turtle and frog legs. Another one was scrambled eggs and squirrel brains. Eating supper at her house during hunting season was always fun, but like it is said about the Cajun's, you just sat down and ate, don't ask what it is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hardly anything went to waste.

Growing up with this in mind, did however have several life lessons for me pertaining to shooting things. IE the post above. It only took a couple of times for me to realize that when the hammer drops on something, you had better be prepared to eat it for supper.

"worthless meat hunter" does have the kind a ring to it that would stick in a fellows head.as far as that skillet goes....we're eating up at the truck stop aren't we?

Mike / Tx
[ QUOTE ]
It only took a couple of times for me to realize that when the hammer drops on something, you had better be prepared to eat it for supper.

[/ QUOTE ]
I brought up the children teaching them the same. You kill it you eat it!!!

[ QUOTE ]
I brought up the children teaching them the same. You kill it you eat it!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep and after me learning that lesson, I had a REAL hard time sitting behind the trigger while my pop was telling me "SHOOT THAT DANM SKUNK BOY, before he gets under the house."

Yea I did it, but the whole time I was thinkin that it ain't gonna be good, anyway it turns out. LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wow it's a good thing your not in Alaska. The Eskimo's would scalp ya for shooting the living spirt of their dead relatives

Brian
Anchorage, Alaska /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I once tried porcupine, roasted over a open fire on a spit. I've had better tasting and chewing saddles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
That was back on a scouting camp-out. Hand caught trout were much better.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.