Wooden dowl stuck in barrel

Talked to a buddy who did the same thing, he told me they took a piece of a balloon and covered the crown and inserted an air hose with a tapered end in the barrel, holding it tightly a quick blast of air or two pushed it right out of the action, it flew out!! Just be careful you don't knick the crown ...I guess the trick would be how good your seal is at the crown end..

If I'm not mistaken wood dowels do have a very low moisture content, so drying out will shrink some, hopefully enough, but if there's a flared end, that's what's binding against the rifling. Putting a screw into the dowel may expand the wood further into the rifling.

Now it all makes more sense.

I gave up after every method mentioned here and elsewhere failed. I was determined to get it out even at the expense of the barrel because I wanted to prove that the chamber was out of spec and possibly get TC to cover it.

I used an 18" long by .25" drill and started drilling the dowel from the muzzle. This went quick and easy for a ways and then got more difficult when I hit the other bullet that was stuck about 6" from the chamber....

Turns out that the 1st shot fired lodged in the barrel and then the 2nd round lodged the bullet in the throat (which I got pulled early on)

I now know that the chamber is out of spec because the action will close on the no-go gauge but I will have to get some casting material to see if the rifle is throated short.

I also know that other bullets from the same box of ammo can be chambered without sticking but they do all contact the lands.

I have no clue why shot #1 stuck in the barrel but it bulged the barrel when it stuck.

Have you checked the bore diameter to see if it is actually a .277 bore? Sounds to me like it could have been mis-marked from the start. I don't see any other feasible reason a bullet from a factory round would not make it out of the barrel upon ignition. Would also explain why the other bullet got stuck hard enough to remain in the lands.

If you had a squib and shot another round, then thank the good Lord you still have your hands and eyes (or life).

Take a stainless bore rod minus the cleaning bit and bang it out. Choose the closest end. Check your barrel for ringing.

Holy cow.

If you had a squib and shot another round, then thank the good Lord you still have your hands and eyes (or life).

Amen to that! I suppose it could have been worse ...

11755479_464400297066196_6815038385101343907_n_zpsjh97u4b2.jpg

The above pix was posted in a local FB page.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.