With the rem 700 no longer being made what your action of choice for your long range rifle ?

I build my custom switch barrel rifles primarily on Rem 700's. I also build switch barrel rifles on Model 70's, Kimber 84/8400, CZ 550 and other customer chosen actions like Howa's.
The only custom Rugers I have done are No.1's, my own, in 25-06 is more accurate than the Rem 700's I have built.
I have a passion for early Sako's L46/461 L57/579's and buy them up when I can, never had someone ask me to true one up, only re-barrel. There was a shop here that had barrels full of factory Sako barrels, a simple call and 1 would show up in the post. I don't know how many he has left, but it's been years since I spoke to him.
I now am collecting Ruger No.1's and Win '92's/'94's in 32-20/44-40/30-30. I bet I can get superb accuracy out those too.
I find it amusing everyone thinks tight tolerance is what makes an action accurate, it's not, it's how square everything is UPON FIRING that makes it accurate. Yes, tighter tolerance makes for better fit, but if it isn't square it will push opposite to where it is off the centreline, this is why we true things up. A little wiggle room is NOT a bad thing.

Cheers.

Nothing wrong with a 700 Rem action. Bolt face and length of action is importance. Watch for a used one, and look at the serial numbers. They end with A,B, and C those action should be good. Anything after that not so good. Triggers, Stocks, easy to get. Pawn shops is a place to shop. Not worry about barrel or stock. They will get replaced.

I just picked up a used 700 action. The only thing I will use is the action the rest into the trash can. The other is I don't sell my firearms. If I want something different I get one built or buy over the counter, and have it worked over.

It depends on if you already have a 700 donor action like I did. There's nothing wrong with using a Rem 700 action if you have one on hand.
My issue with 700 actions is I have watched people pour money into them and by the time it's all said and done end up with more money in them then they could have had a custom for. Sounds crazy but it happens all the time.

A quick look at LRI and by the time you blueprint, time and tig bolt handle, pin the recoil lug and open the base holes to 8-40 It's 525.00. You can sell a 700 action for 400.00 real fast. So now your in it 925.00 (if you don't take the 400 you could have in your hand) and you still don't have a side bolt release, or any other bolt work done besides the timing actually being right. Want a mini m-16 extractor? Add another 150. Different bolt handle? Another 65 bucks. It just keeps adding up.

Now I'm not saying you have to do any of those things, I'm just saying for the guys that are considering it to really keep a close eye on what the cost can be and realize that they aren't married to the donor they have and they can sell it and spend smarter. JMO.

A Defiance Tenacity is just under 900 bucks and they accept prefits which in itself is worth something to me.

"I don't like savage actions even though I own two of them in 260 rem that are super accurate ."

If you don't mind, I have to ask why? My first bolt rifle was a Savage 10 in .308. A very accurate rifle after torqueing the action in the stock.
I had a few problems with that savage model 10.I don't like the accutrigger not the pull but the actual trigger .I hate the detachable magazine mine has fallen out 50 times by accident .The bolt stop won't work on it either . Its a very cheap made rifle .I have used my one ruger 77 no mechanical problems at all 6.Its way smoother so shoot than the savage too .If I was way out in the woods you dang sure don't want parts messing up on your rifle .I had two control feed rifles totally jam not fun in bear country .My rem 700 in 416 had bad feeding problems .I got that fixed but just didbt trust it as much .

I've got semi-customs built off 700s and several full custom rifles. With competent gunsmithing work and match grade barrels they all shoot quite well.
Two of my all time favorite long-range groundhog rigs are built off Rem 40X actions.
Truth be told, many modern production rifles shoot incredibly well and negate the need for a custom rig for most hunting purposes. I've got a Browning HC McMillan in 6.5 Creed. It shot a sub 1/2" group at 400yds. No it won't do that all the time but it easily shoots under .5moa at 400yds every time.

Recent Posts