Winter Bobcats

I have called bobcats during the day; they are most active during the night. If you are allowed to use dogs, put your dogs on fresh tracks like you would when hunting mountain lion. Where I live, they will lay up in cedar tree filled draws and rock piles or along rocky out cropping's to sun and be in out of the wind and weather. Cats most often are slow to respond to calling exercising caution as they come in. I have often spotted them coming as I noticed a rock that wasn't there when I started calling lol. Once I had spotted them and watched them, they would spend long periods just setting in a low crouch watching then slowly make a few steps. I have spent an hour getting them to move from 400 yards in to 100 yards, but I have also had them jump from the top of a cut bank and land beside me in just a few minutes of calling. For me higher pitched calling sounds like used for fox tend to work better for cats and a lower volume to get them to come from the front instead of the side or from behind tended to work best. Just a few of my observations enjoy your hunting they have the patience of a rock.

We are getting a little snow right now . Just a very light coating ..

I got my Augher ready too !
Winter is sure giving us something different this year .

Probably be Snow up to the windows on the 4th of July ! 🤣🤣

Rum Man

Not sure what the Weather is up buy you but we are getting a little snow this Morning!
I might have try this afternoon for Bobcat!
Headed out on the Ice for a little fishing !

Rum Man

Okay, they are easier to spot on snow cover as are the coyote, my eyes aren't young now either. I think a lot of people would call cats if the coyotes didn't come in first. Maybe a good, suppressed round traveling subsonic would help with that say a nine mm in an AR15 frame with a red dot. Given the time I have had plenty of cats get within feet of me, they tend to jump pretty high when you hit them no matter what the distance is.

Thank you for your Wealth of Knowledge!
I have sent lots of Coyotes to wherever they go when hit but never really focused on a BobCat !
I'm excited to actually get one !

Rum Man

I'd prefer sunrise and fresh snow....that said I've called them during all daylight hours. Several have come in while I am calling bears. They generally come in from behind and sit there and look at me from close range.

Main reason for mu sunrise preference is that I can get into my first stand while it's dark then I only need to worry about my scent.