bobcats

DANNY-L

Spotted a bobcat on my brothers farm here in nny,first one seen in about 20yrs. Not even a track in the snow and this one has been seen twice within 2 weeks. Just wondering if ya see one there is likely to be a mate.

One would assume, where there is one, there are more. Are you sure you saw the exact same cat on both sightings? They are pretty elusive and even on my farm with a large population of cats, we dont see one every trip, and when we see multiples, it is hard to tell if it is the same cat or more cats, as they normally dont offer a long time for you to make out distinguishing charateristics about them. Set up a bait pile with a IR camera, you will have your answer in a week or two.

The first time it was spotted by road workers out front of my place,about 4 days later I saw it crossing the meadow behind my place. I've hunted around here for over 35yrs and that was the 3rd cat I seen although years ago we did see plenty of tracks. I know they don't like to be seen. Maybe something will happen to it before we start loosing fawns. Season here is over for them and coyotes.

My experience is, the mate is generally close by.
This sat and waited about 5 min. for me. I was trying to get him to come out into the field, but he wasn't having any of that. So, a 37gr. CRT bullet tipped him over at just over 225yds.

DSCF4500.jpg

Nice work K22! That gets me excited but I've only ever seen tracks in my neck of the woods. I would like to set up for bobcat. How do you set up different from coyote for cats? I usually use a foxpro spitfire, is the cat call on there any good or am I better off with a distress call?

That is a nice looking cat and a fine job done also. The only one I have had a chance at was back in the early 90's when I was walking the farm with my 1894 357mag and I caught a cat stalking a pair of partridges. They were about 75yds away underneath a bunch of spruce trees and as I watched the cat getting closer to the birds and I couldn't believe the birds were like froze and wouldn't move. I raised my rifle for a shot and the cat raised his head and looked right at me as I popped him under the chin. He was very pretty in color and because at the time I had just gotten out of the military and unemployed I sold him to a taxiderist,today I would have had him mounted for myself. He weighed 32lbs.

Nice work K22! That gets me excited but I've only ever seen tracks in my neck of the woods. I would like to set up for bobcat. How do you set up different from coyote for cats? I usually use a foxpro spitfire, is the cat call on there any good or am I better off with a distress call?

I don't setup any different for Bobcats than I do for Coyotes or Fox. The main difference is the wait time. A Cat can take a long time to commit, but once they do they are committed, sometimes to the point you can hardly run them off.:D
Any Predator sound will work. Bird sounds or higher pitched sounds seem to work pretty good. In NC you can't use an Electric Call for Cats, only for Coyotes:rolleyes:, so that one was called in with a mouth call.

How fur friendly was that 357 on the Cat Danny-L?

The shot was about 75yds maybe a bit less and at the time I was useing factory 158gr jhp (probably rem.). The bullet hit the white patch just below the jaw,the bullet made bullet size enterence hole and did not exit. The 1894 has a 18.5" barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.