Winchester model 70 trigger prob. WTH is going on?

rdm

I have a M70 stealth in 22-250 I was going to send off to Krieger barrels for an action truing and rebarrel in 308 Winchester for a F/TR rifle. After taking off the scope and mounts so I could ship the rifle, I pulled the bolt to make sure the chamber was empty and when I closed the bolt the firing pin didn't stay in the cocked position. It gently slid to the fired position. It doesnt appear the trigger is engaging the sear, allowing the firing pin to slide forward as I close the bolt. It stays cocked until I close the bolt. It has never given me any trouble before or ever slam fired, nor has it in anyway been roughed up. On visual inspection I didn't notice any broken springs or parts. Just the failure of the trigger to engage the sear. Any fixes for this one? Cause I'm stumped.

sounds like the 2 little nuts on trigger spring has backed off, and not putting tension on spring.

Mo thanks for the advice but that was the first thing I checked. I finally decided to give it the "Fonzerelli" treatment and held it by the muzzle with butt about 6" off a carpeted floor. Of course I let it drop on the recoil pad. After only 2 "Fonzies" it lined out and is functioning properly now. Never had this happen before and I own 4 M70s. I'll go ahead and send it off to Krieger now and when it comes back have a 'smith give it a trigger job and look it over. Even though the "Fonzerelli" treatment seems effective, I don't think I trust it.

very scarry. I would have it checked and even replaced. If it can do this on a whim like that and then just go away after you beat it a little bit then something is definately not right. very scarry.

+1 shootinfool I hear you. I'm going to go ahead and have the work done by Krieger like I posted and when I get it back, in 5 to 6 months, i'll have a Jewel or Timney trigger installed. One malfunction like you said "on a whim" is enough for me to lose faith in it. If I don't have anything done to it I'll always be paranoid it will do it again. I wish I could say I found and fixed something on it but that is not the case. Bad experience all around.

I had to think long and hard about rebarrelling to 308 for a F/TR rifle. I have to say the rifle has always shot well. In the .4's @ 100yds, 5 shot group, with moly coated 55gr V-maxes and varget @ 3500fps. Not even a warm load in 22-250. If someone wants a really good Winchester Heavy Varmint barrel in 22-250 with only around 300 medium handloads down it, this would be a good one. It will be 6 months wait, but its a perfectly good factory barrel and will need a home. I will keep it if nobody wants it. Its too good a barrel to just junk.

Johnnyk, I wont have the rifle back for another 5-6 months. But probably around $60 when it gets back from WI. If you can wait that long I can PM you if you're still interested.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.