Winchester Model 70

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by etisll40, May 27, 2012.

1. etisll40

etisll40 Well-Known Member

Looking for a gunsmith to rebuild a Winchester Model 70 7WSM.

I see several 2002 Winchester Model 70 7WSM's on Gunbroker and I was thinking about buying one and having the barrel and stock changed out and some trigger work done. I probably would want a Broughton barrel as I have one on my 7stw and it's great.

Are the 2002 Model 70's "controlled round push feed?"

It has a blind magazine, the one I'm looking at. It's one of the Shadow types sold by Walmart at that time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Kevin Cram

Kevin Cram <b>SPONSOR</b>

It sounds like your talking about the Winchester model 70 Super Shadow. It is a controlled round push feed. The bottom of the bolt face is cut open for controlled round feeding from underneath like the pre-64's but utilizes the same push feed extractor as the post 64's. This was Winchesters Wal-Mart package special that typically sold for under $400. They were great for tearing down and using the action as a platform for a custom rifle. Blueprint the action and bolt, install anew barrel and a good aftermarket stock and it will would make a fine custom rifle. The factory triggers weren't all that bad once tweaked but a good aftermarket one is hard to beat. I've built several off of these actions. I'd be glad to discuss a possible build with you. Hit me up on a PM or e-mail if you have any questions.