Winchester Extreme Weather 264 Win mag

458win

Right now I have a $1000 rifle that won't shoot any better then 1.75 - 2.5 groups at 100yrds... Seems to shoot everything consistently around 2- 2.5 for 3 shots. My 45-70 guide gun with 2.5x fixed scope does better:(

I have tried RL22 and Retumbo. 140gr Accubonds, 140gr Amax, 130gr TTSX. Played with seating depth on all and different charge weights. Nothing seems to improve or degrade accuracy. Tonight I tried business cards under the barrel..didnt really change anything. Tried the limbsaver barrel deresonator seems to help some but again.... 2"groups.

Action screws are torqued to 50ft lbs. All base and scope rings are tight. I am open to any and all suggestions. Kinda hard to hit something at 500+ if your already shooting patterns at 100.

All I am looking for is less then 1" for 3 shots... I don't think its to much to ask for. My 280AI does <.5 with the TTSX so don't think its the idiot behind the trigger.

I have worked on several all weathers and they have all been good shooters AFTER free floating the barrel and glass bedding the action. Do a search in the top right hand corner of your screen and look up "glass bedding". It will cost you $30 to do it yourself of $100 to have a smith do it.

I don't even shoot a rifle until I have bedded it.

I believe the all weathers and the extreme weather must differ slightly. Barrel is floated all the way, and there glass bedded straight from the factory. I just pulled it apart and looked at it. Ive tried 120gr ballistic tips and also h4831 with the 140's. Still 2.5-3" at 100 :/

How does it handle factory fodder?

Do you have a different scope to throw on?

You mentioned playing with different bullet manufacturers including Barnes. Did you clean the bore well before switching to the TTSX? Barnes foul quite a bit more than others (especially in factory barrels), a person can compound the issue by mixing the all copper Barnes with the guilding metal of the "conventionals" in the bore. Makes for a great big mud pie of accuracy killing fouling.

t

Waiting for bass pro to open up to get a couple boxes of factory. I'll switch scopes as I have a nf laying around (has Leopold mark 4 now). I would only shoot 6-8 shots before giving it a through cleaning. Will report back.

I wouldn't clean it that often. I personally think people, including myself in the past, clean guns way more than needed. I've gone the other way in the last few years. Right now I have about 100 rounds down my 6.5-300wm without cleaning and accuracy hasn't gone away yet. I have a buddy with a .308 that has over 300 rounds through it without cleaning and accuracy is still good. Some guns don't settle down until they have a good bit of fouling in them so I'd go without cleaning for a bit.

I agree with IdahoCTD, no need to clean it that much, my 264 will take over 50 rounds before I will really get on it to clean it.

Also, I had mediocre results with my 264 till I tried RL25, it shrank everything really nicely, and speeds were excellent with 140 AB's and BTs.

I have also seen where the Winchesters seem to settle down more around the 75 round count. Up to that point, results were less than awesome. Once they got some rounds thru them, they seemed to smooth out and really shoot..

Have you tried lapping the barrel?
This may fix your accuracy woes, if not, it could be a dodgy crown.

Cheers.
gun)

I finally got mine to shoot great! It was a new scope that was bad. Tried another scope and here is the 1st two groups. It went from 2-6" @ 100 yards to these sub MOA groups.

Attachments

• IMG_20140223_112850.jpg
    IMG_20140223_112850.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 355
2-6" groups @ 100....I'd have snatched the scope off immediately. Anything over 2" groups with a variance that large, is most likely the scope, or mounts, provided everything else has been adjusted...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.