Winchester model 70 Extreme Weather

I am considering getting a Winchester model 70 but can't decide between 7mm rem, 300 win, or the 264 win mag they are chambering again in several model 70s

I have the Model 70 Sporter in .264WM. It has a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 RZ800 scope mounted in Warne rings on an EGW rail.

I am in the process of developing two loads for it. The short range load uses 140g Nosler Partitions. The long range load uses 140g Hornady AMAX's. Development with the Partitions is done. My final load is printing .5" three shot groups @ 100 yards. Haven't started load development for the AMAX's yet. I am anxious to reach out a ways with this rifle when my load development is complete.

Fit and finish on my rifle is excellent, the action is ultra smooth, the trigger is good, and the barrel quality surprised me. Break-in took fewer than 20 rounds, clean-up is easy, and finding an accurate load was not difficult. It is easily the finest factory rifle I own, with my CZ 550 running a very close second.

It is disheartening to hear of others having problems with their Model 70's. These are not cheap rifles. I know I would be very frustrated if I had a similar experience.

I notice that both individuals reporting problems with their rifles have Stainless Model 70's. From the given descriptions of the problems, it appears that both actions are solid, but the barrels are suspect. I just wonder if the supplier of stainless barrels is different from the chrome moly barrel supplier.

I am considering getting a Winchester model 70 but can't decide between 7mm rem, 300 win, or the 264 win mag they are chambering again in several model 70s
For an all-around caliber, I love my 7mm RemMag. Be careful if you do get the 7mm........The .284's become highly addicting. :D

I love my model 70 in 7mm rem mag and enjoy reloading for it.
I didn't like the recoil after about 30 to 35 rounds, so i had a limb saver installed.
If it was a 300 win mag or larger it would have to have a muzzle break as well.

I have never seen a Winchester that shoots poorly, I have seen people who shoot poorly and or have equipment set up wrong. Enjoy whatever you get.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.