Winchester Brass for 6.5-284

cfvickers

I just decided to try some and got it in Friday. I have necked down and prepped 20 cases so far. Now I did not sort them by weight or anything else, I sized them, trimmed them, checked the flash holes (not too bad) and am about to anneal them. I also weighed them, and this has me worried. I have a 6 grain total difference across the board. from 202 grains to 208 grains. I bought these because money is tight and I have seen where some people really liked winchester brass. I have had good luck with older win brass that was weight sorted, but primarily have used Lapua and Hornady with excellent results from both. My hornady brass was all within 2 grains of case weight as Lapua 2.5. Hornady had greater case capacity, and if I remember correctly the winchester that I used did not hold up nearly as long as the Lapua or Hornady. But roughly half the cost and again money is tight. So, Do you guys think I can get away without weight sorting my winchester brass if I can accept a .25" increase in group size? I know in the end I will find out for myself and I already have the brass and have not yet fully fire formed it yet, but this has me nervous.
Thanks
Cody

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.