6.5 x 284 Brass

bajabill

Is the Hornady much lower quality than the others? Is Nosler a worthwile step in quality. I read that there were differences in toughness between some of the manufacturers, true, or more of a perpetuating internet rumor? Supplies are kind of lean now, so I dont know how much choice I really have.

I think you'll find that Lapua 6.5x284 is tougher, more uniform and of much better overall quality than anything else on the market.

But I will admit to being a bit biased.:)

I shoot Norma brass in my 6.5 x 284 Shehane. So far so good, running them pretty hot, at a little over 3000 fps, w 140 grain bullets.

I have used Hornady, Lapua, and necked down Win .284 brass in my two 6.5-284s. The Hornady brass is just as accurate in my Savage LRH as anything else. The Husquvarna Hates Both the Hornady and Lapua but does very well with the winchester brass. The Win is the old stuff that came in yellow boxes of 20, I weight sorted it kept the most consistent 25 of 60 rounds. I annealed the hornady brass and this seems to have extended the life quite a bit. at 6 shots per case the primer pockets are still tight and I have only had to trim it twice, neck thickness is still good but it started out quite a bit thicker than the Lapua. I got 5-7 shots out of the Lapua brass with high pressure loads. of 50 I had two necks split early and the rest just got loose primer pockets over time, due to the high pressures I was subjecting them too. I was working up hunting loads so case life was not such a concern. I found that with the Savage, adding .4-.7 grains of powder in the hornady brass would duplicate the accuracy and velocity of the Lapua. Bottom line, I like the Hornady ok but it needs to be annealed. I am going to try the Nosler next because it isn't that much more expensive than Hornady. I intend to anneal it before I ever fire a shot with it.

well, I got tired of looking and shopping and went with convienience. I got Nosler brass because I found it at the same place I found the dies. I only wanted to buy 50 pieces. I should be getting my barrel soon so I wanted to get this done while I saw availability. Too often, I wait and then want to buy and the short supply items are gone.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.