Winchester 70 xtr sporter 338wm

bigtmiller

Well in the previous post I made up my mind to get a 338wm. I have been shopping around and I found a used Winchester model 70 xtr sporter with a non factory wood stock and a weaver 4x scope on it - used - for $500.
is this a good gun?

is this a good price?

Anything that I should look for on a used 338 that might be a sign of problems?

Can I upgrade barels, triggers etc if I want to?

thanks,

Tomgun)

I think that is a bit high for that rifle. The scope is just a throw away so don't count it. The mdl 70 is a good rifle but is harder to rebarrel because you must cut a slot in the barrel for the ejector which is more work and a smith will charge for that.

Weatherby advertises new vanguards for $399 and that is an excellent value in a rifle. They have a good action and are well made. I saw some 338's at wal-mart for under $400 that would be good values. You don't have to spent a lot of money to get a good rifle. A little stock work to free float and bed the action which you can do yourself and you can easily have a shooter out to 500 yards in that price range. I have a 338 winchester that will shoot half inch groups and I gave $269 for it new about 7 years ago. It is a Howa which made the vanguard actions at that time. They are very good actions.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.