Winchester model 70

model70rum

Hello, i just bought a winchester model 70 classic sporter 300 RUM 26 inch barrel. Is the model 70 classic action good to build a long range hunting rifle on? Are the stock barrels on the winchester model 70s any good? Im just starting out with this and want to know if this is a good rifle to start with. What would be the first modifications you guys would do to this rifle to start out? Thanks.

The model 70 is a fine action. The barrel may be good or it may not be, the only way to find out is to shoot it. It also depends how far you want to accurately shoot. The first thing I would do to that rifle, is adjust the trigger, float the barrel (if it's not already), and bed the action.

I would have to agree, these are nice actions. I had a Stainless Classic in 300 WM. What a beauty! I say had one because I could never get it to shoot. The tolerances in the chamber were horrible, lots of shoulder stretch on new brass and a bunch of bullet jump. New brass could be fireformed but I never could get bullets to seat close enough to the lands for any decent accuracy. Partly due to limited length of magazine but mostly due to a reamed chamber.

I would try what Landcbeitner recommended and if that didn't work, I think I would rebarrel it. I am not well experienced on custom rifles but I do remember seeing a lot of custom builders using the model 70 action on their builds. I wish I still had mine to do something like this with.

Thanks for the replies guys. Well i took it in to the gunsmith today to have the trigger adjusted. I asked him about getting it beded and free floating the barrel and he said to wait and see how it shoots first. Is that a common thing coming from a gunsmith or would you guys have it done anyway?

If i was to rebarrel it in the future what kind of barrel would you recomend, length, brand, twist?

Thanks again

I wouldn't get to worried about rebarreling just yet. My Brother inlaw just shot a 5 shot .625 inch group at 100 with his factory winchester 325 - I was supprised since this was only the second load combination I loaded for him.

I have a Model 70 Balck Shadow in 7mm RemMag with factory 26" bbl. I bought it used off a local rancher. I am totally happy with it for what little LRH I get to do. Pretty it ain't, camo it ain't, but I can lay them in there at 600 as good as any other rifl, if I do my job. The g un is way more capable than I am. Good luck with yours.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts