Winchester 70 xtr sporter 338wm

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by bigtmiller, Sep 17, 2008.

1. bigtmiller

bigtmiller Member

Well in the previous post I made up my mind to get a 338wm. I have been shopping around and I found a used Winchester model 70 xtr sporter with a non factory wood stock and a weaver 4x scope on it - used - for $500.
    is this a good gun?

is this a good price?

Anything that I should look for on a used 338 that might be a sign of problems?

Can I upgrade barels, triggers etc if I want to?

thanks,

Tomgun)

2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Is it a push feed or controled round feed action.

How old is it?

How many rounds fired?

Will the guy give you a grace peroid?

3. Long Time Long Ranger

Long Time Long Ranger Well-Known Member

I think that is a bit high for that rifle. The scope is just a throw away so don't count it. The mdl 70 is a good rifle but is harder to rebarrel because you must cut a slot in the barrel for the ejector which is more work and a smith will charge for that.

Weatherby advertises new vanguards for $399 and that is an excellent value in a rifle. They have a good action and are well made. I saw some 338's at wal-mart for under $400 that would be good values. You don't have to spent a lot of money to get a good rifle. A little stock work to free float and bed the action which you can do yourself and you can easily have a shooter out to 500 yards in that price range. I have a 338 winchester that will shoot half inch groups and I gave $269 for it new about 7 years ago. It is a Howa which made the vanguard actions at that time. They are very good actions.