Win Model 70 or Browning A Bolt in 300wm

ardenne

Hi everyone,
I'm gonna buy a winchester model 70 ultimate shadow or a Browning A bolt II in 300WM, but havent decided yet.
I'm not into hunting, will try to do some long range shooting over 600yrds (up to 1000yrd) 99% of the time. That said, I am not interested in easy-bolt cycling or build-quality.
Talking totally accuracy-wise, which one would you recommend if you are not able to heavily modify either one, or could not afford a heavy barrel version?
Are new FN winchester 70s really 1MOA out of the box?
I've read many people occasionally talk about "skinny" barrels on model 70 magnums and submoa accuracy in browning a and x bolts. I got really confused.

Thanks for any help...

Of the 2, my opinion is to go with the A-Bolt II. Never been a Winchester fan, except for antique Win lever guns.

My first choice is always a Remington 700, but 2nd choice is a tie between Weatherby Mark-V & A-Bolt II.

I have atleast 1 of all 3, and you just can't go wrong with any of them.

For just simply shooting paper and gongs at lomg range, go Remington 700....Any and every gunsmith has parts and tools readily available for 700's at the drop of a hat.

Hi everyone,
I'm gonna buy a winchester model 70 ultimate shadow or a Browning A bolt II in 300WM, but havent decided yet.
I'm not into hunting, will try to do some long range shooting over 600yrds (up to 1000yrd) 99% of the time. That said, I am not interested in easy-bolt cycling or build-quality.
Talking totally accuracy-wise, which one would you recommend if you are not able to heavily modify either one, or could not afford a heavy barrel version?
Are new FN winchester 70s really 1MOA out of the box?
I've read many people occasionally talk about "skinny" barrels on model 70 magnums and submoa accuracy in browning a and x bolts. I got really confused.

Thanks for any help...
The three I have total confidence in accuracy wise are Tikka, Browning, and Savage.
I have more rems than any other make and they shoot well, but rem is more likely to put out a turd you either have to make shoot or take back than the others. Win is a hunting gun and will produce moa accuracy pretty well, put pony up $ to a 'smith if you want a lot better. I don't have enough experience with weatherby to see them as good or bad, but the ones I've fired are around win quality; hunting guns, no more.

You're missing out.....Weatherby Mark V's shoot alot better than MOA from my personal experience. And all my current remingtons are factory guns that all shoot sub-MOA. My A-Bolt II also shoots sub-MOA, as well.

I'd buy the Browning Eclipse, heavy barrel with Boss system. Can't do any better than that unless you have a custom done. Should shoot easily around 1/2" with a little handloading and the Boss to tune it. Savage are the most accurate if you want to go cheap. The Browning will hold it's value and last forever. It gets more respect in the aftermarket.

I'd buy the Browning Eclipse, heavy barrel with Boss system. Can't do any better than that unless you have a custom done. Should shoot easily around 1/2" with a little handloading and the Boss to tune it. Savage are the most accurate if you want to go cheap. The Browning will hold it's value and last forever. It gets more respect in the aftermarket.

+1 on all that.

Try it yourself. Just go to Gunbroker, search for bolt rifles, 300 mag.
Sort by price.

You'll find pages of guns. Some cheap some not-so-cheap.
But you'll see what they resell for. lightbulb

I own 2 Brownings. The 7mm mag is a great shooter!! I have owned 3 Brownings is a 300 Win. Mag. With all of them the magazine was too short to hold the rounds if I had to be even as close as 50 thousands to them. Thats the only draw back. I even called Browning and They said they didnt make magazines any larger. The Browning 300 win. mag I have now will shoot moa but to me thats not very good. I also have seen winchesters have the same problem. My dad has a Winchester 22-250 and the magazine is too short in it also. Now days Savage is as good as any of them but never overlook a Remington!!! they most always shoot great!

ive had great luck with the newer model 70s and think they shoot every bit as well as a 700 or a savage bolt. Not much experience with abolts though. My buddys 300wsm is a shooter though. Ive got one myself in 300wsm that was picked up this winter in a trade. I have to wait till the snow is gone though before i can pass judgement on it. You wont go wrong with a 70 though. The newer ones are as good as any out of the box rifle and fit and finish is probably at the top of the heap of production rifles.

The Browning A-Bolt magazine length problem can be cured by purchasing a magazine for a 338cal. works like a champ with no modifications. My A-Bolt 300wm will shoot 1/4 any day of the week with 190 gr bergers 74.5 gr H4831sc

The Browning A-Bolt magazine length problem can be cured by purchasing a magazine for a 338cal. works like a champ with no modifications. My A-Bolt 300wm will shoot 1/4 any day of the week with 190 gr bergers 74.5 gr H4831sc

Really! ? I have a 300wm in an A bolt 2 and would love to be able to push my bullet out a little further.I should experiment a little with it just to see if it helps.

I wonder if a .308 would let me push my 708ai out a little further?

I just looked in my book and the 338 is the OAL as the 300 so I don't know....

If someone has a .338 wm in an A bolt, can you please measure the mag please!

I have a 338 magazine in my A-Bolt 300wm I am at work so I cant measure it for you now. I am telling you without a doubt the 338 magazine is a lot longer than the 300wm magazine.

Buy a Winchester Model-70 & don't look back.

Gave away my last browning. Accuracy was terrible, & trigger sucked!
They are pretty rifles, but so are Winchesters.
I prefer the caming angle of the Win bolt, the integral recoil lug action is stronger, & your not limited to clip length when you load a Win magazine. The other added bonus is that IF you ever do decide to build it in the future you've got Tons of aftermarket support.
Re sale is about equal between the two, but the positives far out weigh the negitave in favor of Winchester in my opinion

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.