X-Bolt or Model 70?

I don't think there are many true experts on this forum. Most of us are informed enthusiasts, well meaning but biased.

I heartily agree the OP should handle as many rifles as he can, the buy then M-70 that feels best..............:D

There are a lot of exerts that peruse this forum.

They simply don't reply to threads like this that are sure to turn into a religious jihad.

-- richard

Would it help saying what caliber and where I will be hunting at?

That's still a pretty general question that you might post over in the hunting area.

You'll find a lot of varying opinions ranging from exotic wildcats to any factory chambering you can think of. People get equally passionate about their cartridge as they do their rifle. That's part of what makes it a great sport. There are many ways to strategize that may all be equally correct for your situation.

The reality is that most modern cartridges will take deer out to 300 yds or more with a decent factory rifle, ammo, and optics. With a little planning, it's not hard to gear up for 500yds.

You might want to go over there and introduce yourself and explain what you're trying to accomplish.

As this is a Long Range Hunting site, there are guys here that are hunting and/or shooting at distances from 50-2500+ yds. Many will assume you want to hunt elk at 500-1000 yds if you don't qualify your objective.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts