Williamsport - I had a "Blast"

Darryl,

ROTFLMAO

This is getting real interesting. Because I use my "Deer Rifle" for deer hunting I keep the parallax set at 100 meters - to start with. After ranging the distance to the deer I then set the parallax accordingly - with the distances on the knob - unlike those "Inferior" Leupolds - because they don't know? lol

I set the parallax to 1000 meters when I got the gun on the bags - just before it was time to shoot sighters. Again, since there are actually readings on my "Superior" Schmidt & Bender scope I don't have to concern myself with leaving it set at some line, like those Leupold lovers have do, lol.

I am sure everybody reading this knows we are just messing with each other.

I will never buy an "Inferior" Leupold again. I had 1 fail 3 times and I would rather use the scope versus having to constantly send it back to be repaired - notice I didn't say "fixed". Had it been "fixed" I would of not needed to send it back again and again.

I have never had any sort of failure with the "Superior" Schmidt & Bender scopes I own and use.
smile.gif

Have a good one all,

Don
smile.gif

One more thought Shakey

I will say one thing, your the only one that has ever brought a S&B scope to Williamsport for a match. That in itself should tell you something?
smile.gif

Of course we are kidding around.

To bad you haven't tried a newer Leupold since it's been sooooooo many years that you seemed to have trouble with "ONE" in the past. If you were to try a new Leupold LR, Nightforce or Unertl 2", that "inferior" S&B scope would be trashed.

See you at the range and hope you can see the middle of the target next time. I'll be sure to bring an extra Leupold or Nightforce for you to borrow.

That S&B just won't cut it there. It's only good for 400 and 500 yd deer kills. That's not far even for a woodchuck kill for a LR hunter.

Later
DC
grin.gif

Darryl,

LMAO, this is cool. I love it, just like you do.

If I used a Leupold for deer hunting I would never get a deer. Those things don't utilize what little light is available late in the day. Those narrow, non-magnified crosshairs can't be seen either, in low light. With the way the reticles break in them, no way to kill a deer - at any distance,
grin.gif
May as well tape a soda can to my rifle, the optics are about the same, lol.

When I decide to get a really long range hunting rifle I will be getting a US Optics scope. Oh wait, you don't like them either,
grin.gif

On a more serious note: What would be your choice of caliber for elk to 1000 yards? And what weight bullet?

Have a good one,

Don
smile.gif

Shaky

There are many clibers that will kill an elk at 1000 yards.
My choice would be.
With a proper rifle and stock and with a barrel of 30"--- a 300 Weatherby or 300 Ultra with the 220 or 240 gr MK bullets will do the trick quite nicely for you at 1000 yards.

Even the 6.5/300 Weatherby or the 7mm/300 Weatherby will do the job at 1000 yards.
It's been done a lot further then 1000 yards with the above mentioned calibers though.

I think US Optics scopes would be a good choice for you. They advertise pounding in a nail with that scope. When you miss your intended game you could go up to the deer and beat him to death with the scope.

Leupold and Nightforce both have lighted reticules.

Later
DC

Darryl,

Thanks for your picks, that gives some basis of a cartridge selection.

Do you think that a 300 win mag would be sufficient at 1000 yards for deer and/or elk, with the proper bullet?

As to the lit reticle. S&B offers them as well but since S&B utilizes the available light so well I never found a need for a lit reticle. With your Leupolds that would have to be considered.
grin.gif

Have a good one,

Don
smile.gif

Yep

The 300 Win will do it too with long barrels and at least 200 or 220 gr bullets.
Preferably Sierra MK.
You will also need a Leupold Longrange or Nightforce NXS sitting on that rifle to be able to do it though.

The lighted reticles on the S&B cost $550.00 EXTRA to have put in your scope.

Later
DC

Darryl,

You Said:

"I will say one thing, your the only one that has ever brought a S&B scope to Williamsport for a match. That in itself should tell you something?"

Correction,

There were 2 Schmidt & Bender scopes used that day.

Give us S&B users another 30 or 40 years and we will take over
grin.gif

Don
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.