Wildcat Bullets Update

No love for the little .257 bullets :( I think someone could make a killing on some 125-150 gr stuff. 257 wby and 25-06 AI's are shooting 115's @ 3300-3500 fps. Even though I'm getting a really really high BC out of the 115 VLD's it would be great to have more options.

What FPS are you getting with these 169.5 (.720 BC?) bullets in a 270 wsm and in what barel length? I was looking at rebarreling a 300 wsm into a 7mm saum but after running the numbers at what a wildcat bulet would do in a 270 wsm at 2850 there is no comparision. From what I have found the 270 wsm with wildcats is substantially better than the 7 saum with 140 gr accubonds, and the 270 wsm even edges out the saum with 140 gr accubonds. Now I have a tough choice. Also if I do plan on building this rifle is there any need to have the barrel reamed to allow the bullet to have a longer COAL? This will be on a long action so thats not a problem. Thanks Im sure Ill have more questions. Kirby I know you're busy so if you have time what do you think, 270 wsm using either a 140 nosler AB or wildcat or 7 SAUM? I will hunting deer and black bear with this rifle mostly. Also with these bullets is there any reason that they cant be used at all ranges? I've heard amax only over 200 yrds and berger can take a bit to stabalize.

Have you thought about making a 270 SAUM for the 169.5 Wildcats? With a 28" barrel I bet you could push them to 3000 fps with devastating effects.

Thats funny I had though about that (270 saum). The only thing holding me back from that is having more to do in the case prep vs using norma 270 wsm. Also I reload and this last year it was impossible to find the powder I needed and primers. 2 weeks before the season I was forced to by factory rounds. If this happened again I dont want to be S.O.L. I have stocked up better to try and not run into this problem again. Also I think the 270 wsm could get that 169 wildcat going with a little more velocity. The real question is what are those B.C's for the 154 and 162 gr 6.5's cause a 6.5 saum would be cool, especially if it could get better ballistics than the 270.

Wildcat

264's 152gr, 162gr and 156gr ULD RBBT's
are good to go after that. My daughter will be hunting deer with the 152gr ULD RBBT's in a 6.5x284.

Can you post even an estimate as to what the B.C. of these bullets are that you have found. You must have something as you have been shooting them in your 6.5-284. Thank you

Thats funny I had though about that (270 saum). The only thing holding me back from that is having more to do in the case prep vs using norma 270 wsm. Also I reload and this last year it was impossible to find the powder I needed and primers. 2 weeks before the season I was forced to by factory rounds. If this happened again I dont want to be S.O.L. I have stocked up better to try and not run into this problem again. Also I think the 270 wsm could get that 169 wildcat going with a little more velocity. The real question is what are those B.C's for the 154 and 162 gr 6.5's cause a 6.5 saum would be cool, especially if it could get better ballistics than the 270.

I had the same problem finding primers this past year. As soon as I found some I picked up 2k, just to be safe. I am kicking around the idea of a 6.5 SAUM once I have to re-barrel my 7 SAUM. If the Wildcats are available I will seriously consider having a reamer made for the 154 or 162.

Paul,

Happy to hear everything is still moving forward. Hopefully the big 338 and 375 jacket issue clears up soon so we can have a little more variety.

Paul I am first on the list for the 169.5's and will wait as long I need to, but I just want you to make sure your prioritys are straight hunting season is upon us, make sure you enjoy it, before you work yourself to death. we will all still be hear with our orders. Let us know how your daughter does on the deer?

they shot very well in my 270 win w/a 10 twist.

They shoot very well in my 270 AM w/an 8 twist.

I'd venture to guess that 8 may be a bit fast and if doing it again would want a 9 or 10 twist.

When I was researching what twist rate for my 270 WSM I found that Kirby uses a 1-8 twist for the 270 AM as Roy stated and I believe it was Paul that was using a 1-10 twist WSM and was having no problems so I went with a 1-9 twist, kinda split the difference.

Thats great to know! I was worried that my Sendero wouldn't be able to handle these bullets, but it sounds like it should do just fine.

What is the going price for these bullets?

Paul, do you or anybody else have some .338 265gr wildcats to spare for sale for a 338am? for Kirby to do some testing for a rifle he s building fo me.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.