Wildcat Bullets Update

I think Matrix and Berger are filling the gap slowly. Between the 2 of them there are some pretty good LR bullets in most every cal with a few more on the horizon

Now if we could only get Rich to go into the bullet making business :)

Yes, the Matrix bullets are doing very well but I did run into some issues with them in my 270 AM. I was very hopeful that the 165 and 175 gr versions in 270 would bring back new life into my old work horse. The 165s actually did better then the 175s if I kept velocity below 3300 fps. Above that and the velocity ripped them apart. The 175s came apart at all velocity levels.

TO BE FAIR though, I shot these out of a 1-8 twist 3 groove barrel. I suspect a 1-9 twist barrel with a land design that produced between 17-19% baring surface compression would really make a huge difference.

When I get a chance to take a breath, I will test this by ordering a custom barrel made to these specs. My 7mm AM had similar performance with its original 3 groove rifling design by Lilja. That design is great for barrel life, terrible for thin jacketed, long, heavy match bullets driven to high velocity.

When I figured out the baring surface compression issue and kept it to less then 18% I had no issues at all with the 200 gr ULD RBBT. The old 200 gr ULD RBBTs were made off the old berger J-4 jackets which I believe the matrix bullets are also made with so I suspect most of the problems I have had are more to do with the barrels rifling design then anything else.

I have had a lot of customers using the matrix bullets in lesser 270 chamberings I have built for them and their results have been very good.

The new berger bullets are also holding up to top end velocity levels as well. The OTMs have been proving great for my larger wildcats and the elite hunters have been great for more conventional velocity levels.

We certainly have some good companies looking out for us but its always sad to loose a company making a line of long range bullets, we do not have ALOT to choose from, need more, not less choices.

Again, I do not know all the details concerning Wildcat Bullets new owners so do not want to pass judgement, but it is sad they are not producing.

Kirby what's the go to bullet now for your 7am's?

Right now, the Berger 180 gr OTM or Elite Hunter depending on the range you will be hunting and the game you will be targeting. The OTM is better for heavy game and closer ranges. The Elite Hunter is better for longer ranges and lighter game as it expands easier.

the 160 gr Accubond is always a good choice for closer range hunting when you still may need 700-800 yard reach but I do not recommend much past that but out to that range, the good ole 160 gr AB works extremely well.

When the 195 gr berger comes out, it will likely be my go to bullet but until its on the shelves, no reason to think to hard about that one!!!:)

Kirby can u pm me or tell me here what ur load would be for the 180 OTM ? I am shooting the 160 accubonds at 3450 right now, which shoot amazing. What velocities would I expect for the 180's?
I have one of your 7AM raptor stalker rifles.

Kirby can u pm me or tell me here what ur load would be for the 180 OTM ? I am shooting the 160 accubonds at 3450 right now, which shoot amazing. What velocities would I expect for the 180's?
I have one of your 7AM raptor stalker rifles.

Remind me what barrel length your using and what powders you have to use?

In 26" barrel lengths, I have been pushing the 180 gr berger to right at 3400 fps in my Raptor Stalkers and over 3500 fps in my Raptor LRSS rifles with the longer barrels.

What speeds are you pushing the 180 bergers? Any issues with bullets not holding up?

Top loads are running from 3350 to 3500 fps depending on specific barrel and barrel length. Have not had any of the new bullets come apart on me. If you have the ability to drive the 180 gr berger to close to over 3400 fps and certainly at 3500 fps, I recommend the OTM version with its thicker jacket.

Edit 3370 fps. Still fast enough ;)

Must be on the shorter end of barrel lengths or just a good comfortable load. Let me get back to the shop and get some specific loads for you. Hope with my little buddy today as she has a Dr. appointment.

Will get you some data when I get back to the shop tomorrow.

In most cases, you can take 10% off the 160 gr starting oad and work up from there and generally that works pretty darn well as long as your using Retumbo or one of the slow surplus powders. 10% off will be a very mild starting load but should be a plenty safe starting load.

I am only at 700 ft elevation and yes it's mild just really accurate ;)

At that elevation, its always best to throttle back a bit and as you say, 3370 fps is still pretty **** fast considering a 7mm RUM will get a 160 gr going around 3200-3250 fps on average in similar length barrels!!! On the outside, maybe 3300 fps with the 7mm RUM so your throttled back loads are still adding nearly 75-100 fps to the RUM.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.