Why we need bore guides for cleaning...

Bore guides need a bushing that fits on the cleaning rod, then the bushing is inserted in the back of the rod guide. This centers the cleaning rod in the bore.

I wiped slick the lands from 5-8 o'clock in several barrels prior to getting a good rod guide.

Neil Jones rod guide with bushing

They will ask you the dia of your rod

Handle is adjustable for action length, O ring on front pushes up on the back of teh action to keep fluids from running into the action, nose helps center the guide in the chamber.

rod guides are a good investment in keeping your barrel shooting. Using a rod guide that allows the rod to flop around in the rod guide is inexpensive, but not smart in the long run.

http://neiljones.com/html/guides.html

Having researched this BEFORE I firs shot my Savage Model 12 F T/R .308. Invested in Dewey Rods for it as well as ALL my rifles, and Lucas bore guides for them as a well. Mike's bore guides are impervious to cleaning solvents, made to order, and haven o-ring to seal it protect the throat, plus he sends you spares with the guide.

Aluminum rods are soft, however aluminum oxidizes in 20 minutes or so to a thickness that will cause paint coatings to eventually fail and can start to show up in TIG welding within the hour (even as poor as I am at it). Aluminum oxide stones are often used for knife sharpening. Just something to keep in mind.

I had never thought about the coated rods peeling, however have seen it on a few of mine. I agree on the .17 cal rod for .17 up to .25, but then step up to a .27 cal rod for the rest, just because that is my break in calibers. 3/8" brass for my muzzle loaders from .40 on up, and bore guides on all of them.

Aluminum is softer than steel barrels, but aluminum oxide is much harder. I had a neighbor who tried to use a soda can to scrape ice off her windshield and the glass looked like she had taken lapping compound to it. Get steel segmented rods to carry in a day pack and wipe them off with each stroke.
I dislike bore snakes because grit can get imbedded in the cloth and can't be easily removed. in order of my preference:
1. Stainless one-piece caliber specific rod
2. coated one-piece cal specific rod
3. Stainless segmented rod
4. Bore snake but launder or otherwise clean after use
Merry Christmas

Interesting discussion here. As a general rule, bore guides are a good idea. And quality bore guides at that.

As for the material out of which the cleaning rod is made, I see people talking about using brass or aluminum because it's soft. Please remember, folks, that machinists use soft metals for lapping -- just apply the lapping compound to the soft material, and rub it on what you are lapping. The idea is that the lapping compound embeds into the soft metal, and grinds ("works") the hard metal.

I once had to open up a resizing die that was out of dimensions. I use a piece of the proper brass, coated it with valve grinding compound, and ran it into the die with an electric drill. The die was perfect in a matter of minutes. The valve grinding compound was embedded into the soft brass of the shell and ground the harder steel very quickly.

So when you think you are doing yourself a favor using a soft cleaning rod on hard barrel steel, remember you are only doing so if there is nothing abrasive that can be embedded into it. The slightest chip or piece of carbon in your barrel will embed into your soft rod and start scoring the barrel.

I have used both soft and hard cleaning rods, but I try to keep them clean as I push them into the bore.

Just something to think about.

I'm using Dewey's rod guide on all my rifles but the one I'm using for the 28 Nosler doesn't fit tight like the others do
Any suggestions
Also my rifle was set up for Berger 195s
If that makes a difference

Last edited:
Neil Jones and Mike Lucas rod guides only!!!! They have the bushing that fits on the cleaning rod that fits in the rod guide, This is the issue in centering the rod in the bore.

Has anybody had experience with the Otis cleaning system using the flexible cable? I have used them as well as Dewey and Bore Tech rods for years. I find I can pull a tighter patch with the cable. They pack up in a small case so I take them on any trips afield in case I have to clean the bore for any reason.

I think that this would be great for carrying in a pack in case you stuck your muzzle in the mud, but not for serious cleaning day in and day out.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.