Why not?

overbore

Thomas Edison had zero credentials, other than faith in his end result, to develop a light bulb, yet he did--- so with that as a basic premise I posit this question:
Why can't a proven alloy, such as 12L14, be used to develop a "smaller caliber" ( all things being relative ) than a 50 caliber bullet, for a .375 or wherever needed, on a screw machine using the basic profiles proven highly successful in the 50 caliber target rifles? Edison found tens of thousands of filaments that did not work but one that did--.
Overbore

DocEd, I respectfully refer you to the Lija article thereto and a Fifty Caliber Shooting Association magazine where the aforesaid alloy is being used for accurate results; now. Barrel life is short but accurtacy is great; therfore, I ask "
Why not try it in .375 rather than trash it?" For specialized applications, it may be just the right product. Overbore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I was just wondering. I use that same alloy to make dies. It machines very well and can be easily hardened. I never considered making bullets out of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.