why not 30-06

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Bubbahfd, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Bubbahfd

Bubbahfd Member

Im new to the long range scene. Im planning on building a 300 win mag for a long range rig but I was just curious.....whenever I was browsing through the forum and I see very little to no mention of a 30-06 for long range hunting/shooting say out to 1000yrds? What am I missing? Seems to be a pretty good 30cal option....can be loaded with great bc bullets, good velocity and I assumn readily availability in brass to reload. What and I missing? Would a custom type rifle say with a blueprinted remmy 700 action thats been solidly bedded with a quality barrel and stock not offert the same 1000yrd accuracy as say a 308 or 300win with the same qualities?

2. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

Yes a 30-06 built with similar level of quality will produce similar accuracy results. Terminal performance will get debated, but I think most would agree to give the 300 WinMag the nod as you're talking LRH not just shooting.

3. benchracer

benchracer Well-Known Member

With the availability of some of the newer bullet designs and some of the newer powders, I think the 30-06 deserves a second look. Of course, the same components can be applied to the various .300 Magnums to provide a similar boost.

Still, using the latest reloading components, the good ole' 30-06 deserves more respect than it gets, IMO.

Though his writing is mostly geared to long range target shooting, I highly recommend Mr. German Salazar's writings on the subject. You may find what he has to say to be eye-opening. He has posted a lot of information regarding the 30-06 on his blog: The Rifleman's Journal

4. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

I agree a very good reference.

5. RT2506

RT2506 Well-Known Member

Why not the 30-06? Because it is not sexy like all the new wizz-bang calibers. But just because there may be snow on the roof don't mean there is not a roaring fire in the furnace.

6. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

Bubba- the 30-06 is my favorite . i have more 30-06s than any other caliber rifle. it will do all a 308 will do and more. lapua brass is available and i use use it in everything but my garands. . the last two elk i shot were killed with a 30-06. i have shot against German Salazar. Simply amazing rifleman. his studies are vast, thorough, detailed , painstaking. the 300 wm i have found to be very forgiving in find a "good" load the only rounds better the .222 and 308. if hunting and 1000 yards the 300 is going to have an advantage over the 30-06. the 30-06 will surprise you though. roninflag

7. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

Ta-Da! As unfair as it is, this is pretty much dead on accurate. It just doesn't have the super-cool factor behind it. Accuracy is just as good as the 308 or 300winny, is closer to the 300 than the 308... For 1000yd hunting, terminal performance is the key & the 300 wins. For 1000yd shooting, the '06 is just as accurate.

t

8. Bubbahfd

Bubbahfd Member

Thanks for the answers guys.....seems as if its over looked for new "fancy" rounds. Its kinda funny I asked this same question on my other forum hunting site that im a member of TBH and the answers we pretty opposite of yalls lol nost of which were "the 308 is ballistically superior" and "it has a rainbow arc".....but that is my bow hunting website so ill trust yalls word on the subject. I might have to build a 30-06 rig instead just to be different than the masses. I do have a rem 700 30-06 sitting in the safe thats beggin for some custom work.......

9. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

It looks like those other fellers have some wires crossed... heck, this day & age, if you were to build an '06 you would be different than the masses!lightbulb

10. Bubbahfd

Bubbahfd Member

I am really interested in building one now. This would be my first rifle build. I dont possess the skills yet to reach a 1000 yet but I have shot pretty consistant out to 500 with my factory a bolt 300 win. I would want to build this rifle as accuate as possible for a 1000yrd rifle but thats as far as id go for now and as far as hunting id limit to say around 6-800 yrds with the 30-06. I figure thatd be effective out to there on deer.

11. drbill

drbill Well-Known Member

You can pick up those Savage 111 30.06 Cabelas exclusive guns on clearance for around 349 bucks. They have a decent stock you can bed and an accutrigger. You can get cheaper with coupons and points if you are into that kind of thing. If you have a pile of children growing up it is a economical way to "arm" them.:D You just may have to buy out the lower 48 Cabelas if you breed like me. They also had 270s 25.06s 257 roberts and some other stuff I don't remember. You can get one of those and if you get sick of the 30.06 jerk it off and/or change the bolt face and you can go about any round you want. Lets the kids decide later. Also you can pick up military/once fired/pulled ammo/brass dirt cheap so you can have fun/teach others to shoot without burning up that "factory" abolt. Oh by the way if my factory abolt 7mm RM owns steel out to 1200 as of right now, yours I bet will too. gun) And I don't know if this is crazy or not but if you shoot some .30 cal bullets with not so good BC won't that be a good judge of how good/bad of a wind reader you are?

12. benchracer

benchracer Well-Known Member

Before you have any custom work done to the 30-06 you have sitting in your safe, I would just mount a good scope on it and concentrate on load development.

You might be surprised at what you find out about your rifle. Load development, a trigger job, and a bedding job could be all you really need to reach to and past 1000 yards.

13. Bubbahfd

Bubbahfd Member

Some great info guys....I'm glad I joined this site

14. cruizer

cruizer Well-Known Member

One of my favorite rifles is a budget build
    New takeoff 26" 308 varmint profile barrel
    HS precision sendero stock
    Long action 700
    Tuned factory trigger
    I reamed the 308 barrel to 30-06 ackley. A 30-06 reamer will not clean a 308 chamber
    Shoots extremely well and I did gain over a standard 30-06