Why not a tube gun???

royinidaho

I have a Rem 722, couple of decent barrels and enough associated stuff to have some fun.

Just purchased, from here someplace, an SPS short action stock. Not very sexy.

Use will be solely for LR practice.

The bolt has been lost in the mail someplace so its gonna cost some bucks anyway.

Why not just do a single shot tube gun? One of those nifty blue ones would be cool:rolleyes:

Watched a video on how to do it. Risky but I'm game......

Need a good project for next year anyway.

Roy,
I asked myself the same question. I built one this spring, it is a lot easier than it looks. I thought it was easier and more enjoyable than building a wood stock.

Go for it.

James

Which company made yours.

I'm thinkin' I want to use a magpul butt stock.

Are all action "sleeves" AR type but stock compatible?

Now much Paxel/Zolof/Celebrex is necessary to endure the anxiety of the epoxy part?:rolleyes:

A skim bed job gives me the vapors......

What epoxy type stuff did you use? I'm skeptical about JB Weld. . .

Roy,
I used my own design. Most of the aluminum was scrap.
The way I did it there is no epoxy used. A recoil disk and spanner nut hold the action into the stock.
One thing I will change on the next one is I used 2 1/2"; o.d. tube, next one will be 2" o.d. tube to save some weight. My complete gun with an 8x32 Sightron scope and bag rider weighs 18 1/2 lbs. I would have liked it to come in under the 17# IBS, NBRSA Light Gun limit.

Were I to purchase one I would probably go with Gary Eliseo's but I prefer my design :).

James

Last edited:
Pics of the home build would be great I am thinking of tackling one myself.

Pictures are a little fuzzy.
Action is a Defiance long RBLP.
Currently chambered in a 6BR.

TubeLc.jpg

TubeRc.jpg

I was a little nervious about making the trigger guard/rear grip group but once I got started it was a piece of cake, albeit a little time consuming.
I did ask Elisio if he would sell that part seperate before I tackled it and he said yes, I thought what have I got to lose by trying to make one though.

One other thing I would change is center the trigger in the trigger guard instead of at the rear.
LOP is adjustable as is the butt plate
The next one I may even get anodized.

James

Great looking work. I have considered this. Relatively few cuts makes it probably seem easier than it is. I have an an old junker action that someone twisted trying to remove it from a factory barrel with a rear entry wrench. I was able to beat it back in line enough to run a bolt raceway reamer through it. I found an old bolt and sleeved it and bushed the firing pin and installed a sako extractor. I think it would be perfect for a tube gun project, especially if I do it on the cheap.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.