Why is this so hard this year

tjonh2001

I am having a hard time deciding on my coyote rifle this year. I am a accomplished long range hunter. With that in mind I want to have the opportunity to harvest a animal if he holds 7-800 out. I prefer closer shots. Last year I only harvested 2 over 600 yards the rest were 400 and closer. My question is what caliber this year.

I have
223ai 8 twist 75amax3025
243 8 twist 18" barrel 105 amax 2900 this is suppressed
243 10 twist haven't load developed it yet thinking 75 or 87 vmax
6.5x284 130accubonds/140bergers

I also have everything to build a new rifle
Either 22cal with 8 twist or a 6mm caliber in 8 twist. So if a 22-250ai,6x47, 243 24" barrel, 243ai or 6x284 are a better choice those are options as well.

Which chamber and bullet would you choose for calling coyotes in open badlands? I will be calling them as close as possible but if they hang I still want DRT. Also I don't like to destoy pelts but to me that's secondary to killing coyotes?

Why not build a 220 Swift with the 8-twist? You should be able to shoot the heavier 22 bullets in it. It would sure be a coyote's worst nightmare, I would think.

But if it's a lot more range that your wanting, like say....600 yds plus, then the 6mm barrel would get the build.

Just my opinion. In your scenario though, there doesn't seem to be "wrong" answer. Just preferences.

That's my hard part. I want to decide a coyote rifle for the next couple Years and sell the others off. Just want to make a good choice.

Want to run 1 rifle instead of multiple.

Well I would certainly rather be over-gunned any day of the week than to be under-gunned. So if your concerned about whether you'll have enough "umph" just use the 243 AI.

If that's STILL not enough, maybe a 6-06 using that 6mm 8-twist barrel.

I know if it were me and I had all the stuff to build a new rife, I couldn't resist the temptation to go that route.

Like has been said your down to preferences, I'm going to use the 284 win with 120 grain
bullets this year. The new barrel 6.5-284 hopefully is done by next year. Probably 123 A-Max. Good Luck

Your right I'm down to preference. In your guys opinion which rifle will offer the best performance to 7-800 with good knock down but not overkill. Remember I I don't want to destroy the pelt that's why I'm Leary of the 6x284 screaming a 105 Berger or amax.

For me it would be between the 223ai and surpressed 243 and of those two I would pick the one that shoots the best.

If your looking to keep the pelts, I've always been told to stay with the .17's and .22's.

Don't take this as some kind of gospel though. I'm just repeating what I've been told.

I think it would be foolish to spend the $$ on a build when you have 2 .243s, I would put that money towards gas to hunt more. I'm shooting 85gr sierra BTHPs out of mine and absolutely love them, very little to no pelt damage and it drops em like a bad habit!

How effective is your suppressed rifle?

All of my rifle shoot lights out they are all built by Nate at ssg.

When I run my shorty 243 with the shark can it shoots 105 amass into tiny groups. As for How the silencer works. When I hunt with friends and I shoot it they need to be within 50-75 to hear it. It they are upwind they usually don't hear anything. As for how coyote react it makes doubles seam easy. The only downside is its a varmint contour and had a Schmidt and bender pmII so it's a little heavy when walking in snow shoes for miles.

6.5x284 with 140 bergers is hard to beat at long range. Any of your guns should be good at killing coyotes.

.25-06...right in the middle there. bullet weights from 70 gr to 120. 115's shoot VERY well. Tons of factory ammo and mild recoil. Just built my first one. with cheapo factory ammo shoots under half inch at 100 with 117gr hornady custom. And the groups were #2,3 and 4 out of the gun. .243 is a great option, but this will have a bit more oomph at 600+.
Nimrod
091611151815.jpg
2011-08-30_17-01-07_430.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts