Why are US Optics so expensive?

I have been using them for many years and they compare to the S&B PMII line. To compare them to a Loopy is like comparing a Tasco to a Nightforce. To say they are tough is an understatement. The optics are also at the Very Top of what is out there IMHO. Plus they will build Exacty what you want.

USO use thicker tubes, FFP, reticles are very nice with a large variety to select from, in short you can have it spec out they way you would like.

They are very, very strong and well made.

Mike @ CSGW

there was a post, probably a few pages back now, called scope torture test or something like that. it was a US Optics and watching that video will make a believer out of you!

Aren't USO scopes all first focal plane, and available with IPHY reticles? That's enough right there to justify the extra cost.

Why anyone in LRH is willing to fuss with milradians, MAO and 2nd focal plane scopes in this day and age is difficult to understand.

Quite a bit more than Leupold or Nightforce.

You think US Optics are expensive; try the S&B PM IIs and the incoming Hensholdt line.

I own US Optics and S&B PM II scopes. The PM II optics are a little better. What I really like about US Optics is JBW III and the literally endless combinations you can request when you order your scope. I've had at least one US Optics scope on my rifles since 1996 (I think). Great scopes and tough as hell.

Last edited:
Here is a USO ST10s on a M40A1. I love this scope.
P1040832-1-1.jpg

I also use a USO 3.2-17x44mm ERGO.

Mike @ CSGW
www.csgunworks.com
[email protected]

Here's some testimonials about CS GunWorks
FEEDBACK about CSGUNWORKS on AR15.com
FEEDBACK about CSGUNWORKS on Snipersparadise
FEEDBACK about CSGUNWORKS on the HIDE

I've been using USOs since JBW II's days and will continue to do so. I've had a chance to use USOs under almost-starlight-only conditions, side by side a Premier Reticles modified Mark 4. Although it wasn't easy, at 10X I was able to engage plate-sized targets. I wasn't able to do it using the Leupold at the same magnification....

Mike at CSGW: Than you for selling me the USO ST10 CSGW edition :)

Calidude

+1 I bought my first USO from JB#2. I got my 3rd USO from JBW#3. Their customer service is great and the product incredible. They are not out of line with other top of the line optics products, like S&B or Hensoldt (SP?).

JeffVN

I've used nothing but NF recently and have never looked thru a USO or S&B.

To date I'm more than confident in NF tuffness but I don't know anyone who would turn away better optics.

Are the USO and S&B optics alot better than NF?

if i never look through one i will never want one. I made that mistake with a Nightforce, herd they were really nice but did not know for myself. My buddy bought one and i shot his rifle with it on it and now i am saving to buy one as a matter of fact i might buy one today. My smith called me and said my custom build will be done this week so i do have a demanding need. i found a new one 5.5 X 22 X 56 np1 reticle for 1531.00 does that sound like a good price? that does not include rings.
i know some us optics and that hendsoldt start out about this much and go up from their. i can not imagine paying 3,000.00 + for a scope but then again 2 years ago i gringed at paying 500.00 for a lupy. how things change?

I've used nothing but NF recently and have never looked thru a USO or S&B.

To date I'm more than confident in NF tuffness but I don't know anyone who would turn away better optics.

Are the USO and S&B optics alot better than NF?

If you use and own all three (have for 20 years) then you will know the answer. I use NF on my 1K competition rifles but use the S&B and USO for pretty much everything else. If you ever use the USO or S&B in less than ideal conditions it is likely that you will buy another one.

I cant say that USO's are not worht the extra $$$$ over a NF, because I have never hunted with or looked through one.

What I do know is my NF is more scope than I need, and I like that. I have easily seen game, in hunting conditions, set on 22x, at last legal light (30 min after sunset in mid Dec - and that is dark). As for toughness... how tough does a scope have to be? If i took a tumble down a steep rock slide with my rifle and scope, I would be more concerned with rings than the scope. IMHO, the NF scope is tougher than the rings. And oh yeah, let's no forget about the NF that got a bullet hole through it in combat, and except for the fact that the power mag was stuck on 15x, the scope performed flawlessly, never loosing zero.... so once again, how tough does a scope have to be.

Also, who needs a FFP? (I can feel the flames already :rolleyes::)) I shoot with my scope set in one of two power settings... all the way down (5.5) or all the way up (22). If the game is close enough to shoot on 5.5, I can hold on or just above the back. Farther than that... crank it up to 22x

I wont say a USO isnt worth the extra $$$$, but for twice the cost it better be reeeeeealy goooood... and since I'm not a starlight shooter, my scope doesn't need to be any gooder than it is :)

JM three cents...

-MR

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.