Why a flyer?

My velocity is 2975 with an es of 40. WLR primers
I'll double check my powder with another scale.

I've fired a lot of different kinds of ELDs and never once noticed that variance in the bullets kept me from achieving .25 minute precision. A lot of things have kept from that level of precision, but I highly doubt you could pinpoint it to bullet variance.

Last edited:
That's the only thing different in my loads for the 308 Norma and the 300 winny. AS I said not a lot of difference, but why any? Some guns like them some don't. Some people like hot dogs some don't. BEER MAKES ME BURP! Good luck hunting and be safe.

Update,
I first double checked my powder with a scale. My charge master was weighing a bit off, not sure if enough to give me different velocities but wanted to rule that out.
So the only thing I changed was the COAL. Took it .005 more off the lands.
Best group was just under 1/2"
Farther off the lands gave me more of a flyer.
My velocities are way wider than I've had with other rifles. If I can find some R26 I'd give that a try. I have some H4350 I can switch to.

I agree with barrelnut. Try shooting 5 shot group and see what happens
I stopped shooting 3 shot groups about a year ago. 5 shots gives me a much better idea what that load is doing. I generally start with 3 shot, then once I find a promising load I do 5 shot groups tweaking it some. Then once I get a 5 shot that I like, I'll load up 10 more and do 2 different 5 shot groups to make sure it's good. Only way to tell if your rifle really likes a load.

I had same issue out of 143 EDLX out of my 6.5-06. Tried two powders, different seating depths, still got flyers.

140 Berger VLDs no flyers
129 LRAB's no flyers

Just my limited experience with ELDX's

Update,
I first double checked my powder with a scale. My charge master was weighing a bit off, not sure if enough to give me different velocities but wanted to rule that out.
So the only thing I changed was the COAL. Took it .005 more off the lands.
Best group was just under 1/2"
Farther off the lands gave me more of a flyer.
My velocities are way wider than I've had with other rifles. If I can find some R26 I'd give that a try. I have some H4350 I can switch to.

How did you come up with your powder charge? Ladder test, OCW?

Also, what powder are you using?

Last edited:
Once you believe you've identified and cured the source of the problem, shoot some 5 shot groups to prove it.

How did you come up with your powder charge? Ladder test, OCW?

Also, what powder are you using?
H4831
I got the powder charge from quick loads. I'm at near max and like the velocity that it's at.

I'll load up some more and shoot some more groups. I do have some bergers that I can use.

I had to sort eld-x by weight and BTO length to get any consistency on paper. Lots of variance in that bullet, could be your problem.
We have all had to swap from the 143s due to this. It was never any consistency and about the time we would think we would have it figured out, we would get one that would be off the charts and fly off. We have had some as bad in 1 box as 138.6 to 149.1 and not have 5 that were they same. Some boxes were better then others but none were worth the time we spent sorting.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts