Why a flyer?

TBuckus

0C9E1D81-0244-4BD5-B685-6C5143EB60F1.jpeg
00D6A3AF-E7CB-4C21-9836-43AAA2D2BFBC.jpeg
I'm working up a load for my 6.5/06 and am wondering if I should change something (i.e. charge, powder, etc.)
I'm shooting a 143gr eldx at near max according to some quickload info that bowfishn posted for me.
For the last couple grains, I've always had one shot that would make my group big. It could be my fault, but I'm not sure.
The first pic is at 100yds. Group on right is .5 gr. Higher. I had extra loads of the left group and I wanted to see what they would look like at 200yds, which is the second pic. Both groups came out at just over 3/4".
If this was one of my factory hunting rifles, I'd call it quits and be happy. But this is my first custom rifle and I'm hoping with playing around with the loads I can get sub1/2" all the time.

Should I shoot the same load a few more times and see if it consistently throws one?

Before anything, I'd try a seating depth change of .005 in both sides of your current depth. When I see groups like this .005" closer to the lands is commonly enough to pull the third and subsequent shots into the group. If the seating adjustment doesn't work, sometimes a different primer will work to pull the third shot in.

Last edited:
I agree DOK: I bought some ELD-X 178gr for my 300 Win. mag. I read the Hornady information on them and thought, well this will be a much better terminal hunting bullet than the Amaxs. My groups looked like Mr. Ts, only a little wider but two together or pretty close and the third shot about 3/4 to an inch away from the other two. I loaded up some 168 grain Amaxs and they shot a smaller group 3/4 to 1 &1/4 minute of angle at 100 yards. I don't think that's bad for a Remington 783 with a $100 Bushnell Banner scope on it. I don't think the ELD-X bullets shoot as good as the Amax bullets do. I checked them out in my 308 Norma mag bench gun also, same thing only it was 178gr. ELD-X vs 178gr. Amax. Amax won big time. I don't know what is going on. If you play around with different loads and powders they may shot as good, but I will continue to use the Amax as long as I can find them. They quite making the Amax, probably so they can sell the ELD-X. Good luck hunting and be safe.

I shoot the same bullets and have found they aren't consistent. I sorted some and shot a .25 inch group. Didn't sort some and still shot a .25" group. When I have a flier it's usually powder charge. I would do a seating depth test. Mine shoots amazing 60-70 off.

Before you blame the bullets, figure out the seating depth. Your rifle has potential as evidenced by stacking two shots.

I've had very good luck with the eld line. In have some 143s that are very consistent. The new lot of eld-m 140s I just opened up i randomly grabbed 10 and weight variance was .2 grains and base to ogive variation was . 0005. I'd recommend adjusting seating depth. My 6.5 likes them .005 off the lands and I run my 7mm and .015 off

I have tried them touching , .005 off all the way to where they fit down into the clip. I didn't care if I had to use it as a single shot rifle as long as it made it shot a tighter group but things stayed pretty much the same no matter how deep I sunk the bullet. That being the case I ended up seating them just deep enough to go down into the clip. Good luck hunting and be safe.

We have found the 143 eldx to be a .5 moa bullet as pulled out of the box or in factory ammo. Several rifles, hundreds of rounds. 140 eld seems to settle in closer to 1/4-1/3 moa

Glad to hear your having good luck with them. Each gun is different my 30 cals just shoot the Amax a little better. Probably only 1/2 to 3/4 min. The ELD-X shoot different shaped groups that look worst than what they are a lot of the time. My 300 Win Mag is a Remington model 783, it is not an expensive gun. I just wanted something light to carry about a mile back onto a point where I can shoot basically 450 to 600 yards across a hollow. Good luck hunting and be safe.

Could just be a difficult day at the range. It happens. I'd try a couple 5 shot groups with the load on the left. Might give you a better idea of what the gun is really doing. That group at 200 yards is less than 1/2 MOA. Try to repeat it.

You don't mention any seating depth testing. So definitely do that too. I would just test the load with a couple 5 shot groups first. You may find that that one shot is not a flyer at all.

I haven't messed around with the seating depth for these. I'll try that next.
I did weigh and separate when I read a while back about these. Didnt measure BTO.

I would shoot it through a chronograph to see how consistent the velocity is. If you have accurate weighed powder charges, It could be a primer problem.
Good Luck and Be Safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.