Why a 30-06 is like your ex-girlfriend...

engineer40

Thinking back to the days of yore, have you ever ended up spending time with an ex-girlfriend and at the end of the day thinking to yourself, "Ya know, why did I ever break up with her? She has so many good qualities, we have a lot of fun together, and she really doesn't have any noticeably bad qualities."

I recently spent some time with one of my 30-06's. And I had the epiphany "Why am I always thinking and scheming of other cartridges?"

A 30-06 rifle is available from pretty much anyone who has ever produced a firearm...
The ammo is available for it everywhere.
Lapua makes top quality brass for reloading and it's always available.
Bullet selection is just ridiculous. I have so many choices.
No fire forming cases.
Tons of readily available reloading data.
Everyone makes the reloading dies, nothing special to buy.
It will get me over 1000 yards still maintaining supersonic speeds.
No belted cases to deal with.
30-06 barrels last seemingly forever.
I can shoot everything from 110gr all the way up past 220gr bullets.

"30-06... I think I love you. Let's start hanging out together more often again."

And just like that; the excitement returns from a love long lost!

Fast forward to the next weekend; "Hmmm, I wonder what 28 Nosler has going on tonight? I'm thinking I should invite her over. I hope she's wearing that digital camo mini skirt..."

Well said...

I haven't give up on her yet. After several rifle purchases after getting my 30-06. I just put a new scope on her and rekindled that flame....Hard to believe its been around over 100 years and is still a very good choice in a hunting rifle or a long range steel and medium game rifle..

Last edited:
The only real problem with the 30/06 is its old and boring to most people. It's kind of like the old saying- "there's girls you date, and there's girls you marry." The 30/06 is definitely "wife" material. I'm starting to put a Wyoming elk hunt together. Can't wait to dig my 30/06 out and start messing with it again. It's been close to 10 years since I've shot it. We have a lot of memories together. I guess I need to re-light an old flame.

A frivolous comparison. Significant others come and go, but a 30-06 should be a constant.

One can always find a specialty choice to perform specific tasks better, but a better day in day out general use caliber I doubt it.

Ruger #1 is my current favorite 30-06.

My 30-06 is one of 4 calibers Ive really settled on after years of searching for that perfect one.

It's also the one that gets used the most and is the most versatile!

If I'm in the woods it's the 35 Remington, but if the shot is going to be under 300 yards (that includes most of my stands), Dad's 30-06 is my go to rifle.

This thread literally made my day! So so true -

I have been seriously kicking the idea of a 30 inch barrel '06 shooting 208 amax. oh - the possibilities!

A frivolous comparison. Significant others come and go, but a 30-06 should be a constant.

One can always find a specialty choice to perform specific tasks better, but a better day in day out general use caliber I doubt it.

Ruger #1 is my current favorite 30-06.
Last weekend I was shooting my 1903 springfield with it's 1913 SA. barrel. The rifle can still shoot tiny groups at 100 yards with the right bullet and load. The bullet saturday was the old rem. bronze point 150 grain.:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.