Taking your wife or girlfriend hunting

This was my wife shooting my 6.5 creedmoor tonight at 280 yrds. She did great!

Attachments

• 20170810_202414.jpg
    20170810_202414.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 107
Don't burn her out. If you can keep hunting sessions and shooting sessions shorter, that will help (or at least did with my wife.) Morning hunts or evening hunts are a good place to start

My wife goes with me everywhere. 9 day elk hunts at 9k in Colorado, day hunts for antelope in Wyoming and pheasant... she is there. My wife is a former track athlete and in good shape so I just would say two things; make sure you gauge both your and her abilities prior to going out. If you are in exceptional shape and can carry 80lbs and going on an overnight trip then you carry it all and let her get accustomed to the situation. My wife has had a ton of experience in cold weather, backpacking and cross country skiing so I think I have it pretty good as I don't have to acclimate her to these situations. So evaluate your significant others situation (or child's or friends) and make a practical assessment of their comfort and abilities.

Second is pretty simple, I made a point to make sure my wife had as good or better of gear and clothes as I have. That comfort goes a long way. I think if you REALLY want that person to enjoy the outdoors and you're on a limited budget then you suffer first and get them the better gear. Most guys I have seen have the nice gear and then get their wife crappy gear because they "don't want to waste the money if they don't like it" and for me they won't likely like it if you are in a Cadillac and they are in a civic!

......Most guys I have seen have the nice gear and then get their wife crappy gear because they "don't want to waste the money if they don't like it" and for me they won't likely like it if you are in a Cadillac and they are in a civic!.........

Same with kids....a sleeping bag that matches the conditions is also huge.

Yeah I bought her cabelas outfither pants and jacket. Got them on a smoking sale for 220 normally $300 and bought her a nice pair of danner women's insulated boots. I will not allow her being cold or uncomfortable to be the reason she doesn't like it. Got her a nice pair of gloves and a nice neck sleeve. I didn't buy her Sitka gear but I don't buy myself that either so. We're seeing elk out scouting and I dont think success will be too hard.

I usually tuck some extra into my pack (sweat suit/pajama/extra blanket/fluffy sock, favorite goody), when my wife is along, than I would if I was hunting by myself or with a party, I run pretty light by myself.

She brings along her camera and lenses and I let her set the pace accordingly, if she wants to set up to take pictures, there is always plenty of time to harvest game and sometimes the only game we take is in pictures. Usually wind up with the extra stuff in my pack, but I don't mind it.

Actually, I spent a little bit more on her gear, than mine, but, it keeps her warm, dry and happy.

Joe,

I was wondering if you have a bipod on the Ruger for your wife since you mentioned she was shooting off the bench? Shooting off a backpack/bipod is good practice in field positions. Shooting sticks work well, and a tripod setup works even better.

Good luck, I've always love being in the field with my GF, and new shooters and putting them on Game. You'll both make a lot of great memories together I'm sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.