Taking your wife or girlfriend hunting

Joefrazell

So my wife finally got her hunters ed done and was fortunate enough to draw a cow elk tag. We went out today and got the rifle she will be using sighted in. She shot it pretty well at 100 and 200. The rifle she will be using is a ruger american predator in 6.5 creedmoor with a nikon bdc scope. She has her own rifle, a 25-06, but it has issues with grouping. The ruger shoots way better then moa consistent. I was worried about taking her out today as she gets frustrated if she cant get sready while trying to shoot. So I took her to the shooting range so she could shoot off a bench. After the day she and I both feel pretty good. My next step is to take her out to shoot steel targets from 200-400 yrds. I'm probably going to limit her shooting on an animal to 300 yrds.

I know shes wanting to like hunting for me as she knows I really want her to hunt with me. She really wants the meat and she is actually really excited about going. I'm confident we can get her one but it will take work, hiking alot. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how to keep her interested and wanting to go again next year? I know that getting one will make a big difference but it is elk hunting and doesn't always happen. Also i know keeping her warm is a big issue so i bought her good gear from cabelas. How far do I push her? How easy do I go on her? My plan is to scout alot maybe alone so alot of the work is already done. What are the do's and don'ts when taking your spouse?

So my wife finally got her hunters ed done and was fortunate enough to draw a cow elk tag. We went out today and got the rifle she will be using sighted in. She shot it pretty well at 100 and 200. The rifle she will be using is a ruger american predator in 6.5 creedmoor with a nikon bdc scope. She has her own rifle, a 25-06, but it has issues with grouping. The ruger shoots way better then moa consistent. I was worried about taking her out today as she gets frustrated if she cant get sready while trying to shoot. So I took her to the shooting range so she could shoot off a bench. After the day she and I both feel pretty good. My next step is to take her out to shoot steel targets from 200-400 yrds. I'm probably going to limit her shooting on an animal to 300 yrds.

I know shes wanting to like hunting for me as she knows I really want her to hunt with me. She really wants the meat and she is actually really excited about going. I'm confident we can get her one but it will take work, hiking alot. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how to keep her interested and wanting to go again next year? I know that getting one will make a big difference but it is elk hunting and doesn't always happen. Also i know keeping her warm is a big issue so i bought her good gear from cabelas. How far do I push her? How easy do I go on her? My plan is to scout alot maybe alone so alot of the work is already done. What are the do's and don'ts when taking your spouse?
Don't push her or force her into a shot she is uncomfortable with. You will know when she fills good about pulling the trigger. If it's a miss, it a.miss, it happens to be be best of us. Hunting is a time to be together in a place and situation you don't get to be together in enough. Savor the time together in the new adventure with her. If you both enjoy it she will want to go again.

Good work so far. Did almost 9miles with my girl yesterday in some terrible heat and tough terrain, but she trooped on through. Besides the right gear(comfortable womens pants are a BIG deal towards comfort and happiness), cultivating the right attitude, excitement and drive, seems to be the biggest thing. The largest hurdle is to get her so pumped for it that she'd go on her own if you had to work or couldnt go. That just takes time and a real love of the outdoors. Exposure, exposure, and more exposure breeds comfort to feed the addiction.
Congrats and good luck!

If you find some elk while scouting, take pictures and video if you can . It will boost her drive knowing for sure that there is game in the area. Don't push her too hard , if she's into it she'll give 100% .If she's not that into it , pushing her will only make her more frustrated.

As long as she is having fun then you will too. "Fun" by the way means warm, dry, well fed, no bug bites, etc. so good gear is a must. Think of it as a photography trip to take the pressure off, go out and shoot some great pix and it's already a win. She probably thinks you expect her to bag an elk so she might be nervous about your expectations. Sitting and glassing can get old so get her a good butt pad. Girls are girly so bring handy wipes and whatever so they don't feel like one of the guys. Good luck, it can be challenging.
https://www.ebay.com/p/Primos-Twin-Cheeks-Cushion-Mossy-Oak-Break-up-66901/1705479262

I have to agree with the gear side my wife is frustrated here is so little womens clothing and boots. Did you know it is hard to find womens hunting boots with more than 600 grams of thinsulate. That really sucks here in Alberta in November.
I hate hunting with my wife because she is a better shot than me lol. Actually I believe women pick this sport up quicker than us because they are so eager to learn. They are also not hampered by the I already know that attitude most guys seem to have. Just keep practicing with her and make it fun like milk jugs full of water for targets. Even guys enjoy thrill of seeing that jug of water explode.
Good luck this fall and wish your wife luck from all of us here.

My wife is as sweet as they come but with a rifle or shotgun in her hand she turns into a slobbering monster that never misses. The guys at our local processor laugh when I bring in her kills..

She's pretty darned cute too!

I have the worst circulation in my feet. Cold in everything but summer if i sit long enough. Years ago i quit trying to find pack boots with enough thinsulate or whatever to keep me warm, and switched to the mid level insulated rubber hunting boots that i already owned and dropped in toe warmers. They need a little air to function properly so the slip on nature worked perfect when i wanted to back my foot out and let em breathe. Not rocket science obviously, but the slip on air flow made the difference between sitting a few painful hours, to sitting till im ready to leave. Best of luck

I've found that sometimes I like to let her set the pace. She'll probably go a little harder with you along than she would alone. I think the exposure factor is a good way to get her hooked. My wife sat with me during deer season last year and seeing the things come alive in the woods really kept her going. First hand up close experience with wild animals goes a long way toward keeping them interested. I also got her good warm camo for cold sits and that helped a lot too.

My wife never hunted until meeting me. I found as long as we were able to find stuff to shoot at first until she got hooked we were all good. I took her beaver hunting, generally a safe bet at finding something, and not too long then I took her coyote hunting and after having coyotes coming in, she was hooked. I also carry her gun when her shoulder gets sore, makes it a little more enjoyable for her. I'm a firm believer that more when then men are naturals at shooting. Sometimes I get too intense and have to be reminded to loosen up, lol. Good luck and have fun!

Good boots!! Set the exception that it will be hard, especially if it is on public land. Let her set the pace and try to gently guide her. She needs to fall in love with it. She may find that she likes the hunting, or maybe she likes just tagging along for the hikes. Good luck

Make sure she stays warm get her good clothes and boots .You can get her to shoot water bottles too they are cheap I use 2 liter bottles and use food coloring..They like to see stuff blow up not just biting targets .Make sure she has an awesome sleeping bag and a good cot to sleep on .Make sure to take her snacks shot e likes too .Let her have a good pair of binoculars let her look for game too .Make sure her scope is good and she can shoot her rifle comfortable and put an awesome sling on.it easier to carry .Get her a good knife to help you cut up game.I have taken many girlfriends hunting and these were their complaints ! Hope y'all have fun and fill your freezer together !

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts