Who's planning on using a 22 cal?

How would you guys compare an Antelope to a Southern White tail?

Just wondering..
Ive never seen an antelope up close for myself.

Ive been whitetail hunting for a couple years now with a .223 and it works great with 75gr PPU match and 77gr SMK bullets that i reload.
I use those on Hogs also with really good luck.

So if those critters are the same size, yea id use a .223 or 22-250 gun)

i believe an adult buck might go a little over 100 lbs (maybe 120?). I have never weighed one but they are fairly small.

That's about right. A female adult will weigh about 80#-100# and an adult male will go about 100#-125#. Even as small as they are they can take some shooting if the proper bullet isn't placed in the right spot.

Ive shoot a few antelope and mule deer doe with a 22-250 shooting 60 grain nosler partitions and i have never had any trouble. Always kept things short 250 yards or less and heart lung shot them. I wouldnt be afraid to do it again.

I once took one with a 220 Swift and a Barnes something @ 200 yards, the first shot put it in shock on it's feet and the second shot tipped it right over. Didn't run an inch. The meat was great. At longer ranges, the bullet will get pushed around and drop more than I'd like but a little closer in, it seems to work great.

My first thought was great I could use the Colt HBAR, 9 twist 223,223ai or the 8 twist 22-250gun)After thinking about it the 7mag will probably ge the call again this year. Its got a great track record and lighter than any suitable 22cal that I have.
Now if that little CZ 527 American had a 9 trist barrel on it ? Always nice to have the freedon to chose wisely though!!!!

I have shot any of antelope here in Idaho with a 220 swift and a Nosler 55 gr ballistic tip stuffed on top of enough powder to go 3950. On a running Pronghorn at 250 yds one was shot right through the non vitals. A poor shot that should of been passed by all the judges. The Pronghorn went down so fast that it was gone in the blink of an eye. When we walked up to it the entry hole was blood shoot so bad the meat for a foot around it was destroyed and the exit hole was over 8 inches in diameter. My experience had to be the same experience that Roy Weatherby made when he made his famous quote. "I do not care what anyone says,,velocity kills". On this same trip many antelope were harvested and brought back to camp by calibers from 277 to 308. None did the terminal damage that the 220 swift did.

Here in NM, the rule is (and has been for a while, at least) "Any Centerfire Cartridge" for deer and zipgoat. I only know of one person (and I know of dozens at work who hunt) that uses anything smaller than a .243 to hunt deer, a woman who uses a .204 Ruger, and every season she has harvested her deer with a bang-flop.

I haven't caught wind of any great controversy about the cartridge rule for deer here, and I doubt Wyoming will all of a sudden see some rash of problems.

montana has no caliber restrictions and I used a 22x47 lapua and an 80 grain vld on deer and antelope with great results last year. We also had a bill pass to allow the use of suppressors on game, but our smartest person in the room governor saw fit to veto it. I am not sure as to whos agenda he subscribed to, but its dead as of now either way.

Now that i know my Dad's 220 swift will stabilize the 60 grain hornady HP we will be using that for a speed goat this year.

I have shot several antelope in Montana with the 55 & 62gr Federal Trophy Bonded 223Rem loads. If you keep the shots under 200 yards and hit them in the lungs as I have, it drops them in their tracks.

Long shots, or quartering away, no way. But inside 200 yards, and hit them right, it's clearly a good choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.