anyone else planning there first antelope hunt

I'm heading out on my first "speed goat" trip tomorrow. I drew a non-resident "Utah 5048 - SW Desert" tag and will be hunting with Charlier Leeder.

Success! Missed a really nice buck which we had hiked over mile (up hill!) to get setup for. It busted us, forcing me to take a 400 yard shot while out of breath and not setup as well as I'd have liked. Oh well.

We spotted this one with a couple of females about 700 yards away. It was on top of a ridge and spotted us immediately and went on high alert. We sat down under a tree and watched it, hoping it would drop back over the ridge and give us a chance to sneak up on it. What did it do? It trotted right towards us watching us the entire time! I setup for the shot and finally dropped it at about 250 yards in self defense!

pronghorn.jpg

pronghorn2012.jpg

Success! Missed a really nice buck which we had hiked over mile (up hill!) to get setup for. It busted us, forcing me to take a 400 yard shot while out of breath and not setup as well as I'd have liked. Oh well.

We spotted this one with a couple of females about 700 yards away. It was on top of a ridge and spotted us immediately and went on high alert. We sat down under a tree and watched it, hoping it would drop back over the ridge and give us a chance to sneak up on it. What did it do? It trotted right towards us watching us the entire time! I setup for the shot and finally dropped it at about 250 yards in self defense!

pronghorn.jpg

pronghorn2012.jpg

Very nice job! Also good job w/pic of you w/ your goat. Alot of times guys don't put time into making photos look good. If it wasn't for the blood on mouth you'd think you were holding alive buck down.

Gene

awesome, what caliber where you using?
Congrats, great goat, I will be in Wyoming Oct5th and CO Oct 10 for goats, cant waitgun)

awesome, what caliber where you using?
Congrats, great goat, I will be in Wyoming Oct5th and CO Oct 10 for goats, cant waitgun)

7-08 Ackley Improved, shooting 140g Northforks. First game I've taken with Northforks and it was utterly devestating.

7mm-08 AI!!!!
Sounds like a great choice. What to you get for a velocity increase with it? I love the idea, short action light rifle.....

7mm-08 AI!!!!
Sounds like a great choice. What to you get for a velocity increase with it? I love the idea, short action light rifle.....

The rifle began life as a Remington Model 600 "Mohawk" in 6mm Remington. The idea was to build the 'perfect' all around deer hunting rifle. I dad the action trued, bolt fluted, trigger tuned, put on a 22" #4 fluted Hart barrel chambered in 7-08 AI (tight neck), and dropped it into an HS Precision sporter stock. I currently have a Zeiss 5-15x42 scope on it.

M600_7-08AI.jpg

This is definitely not a "long range" rifle. Hard to say how much of a velocity improvement I get from the improved cartridge, but I am able to achieve book velocities out of the 22" barrel. (Most book #'s are 26" barrels). So, in my case, the "Improved" case gave me back the velocity I lost with the shorter barrel. I tend to load 140g bullets targeting 2800 fps. I've loaded as hot as 2950 fps but brass life suffered significantly (loose primer pockets) so I stick with 2800. It is a shooter, though.

7-08AI_SmallGroup.jpg

Mike

Very nice...and the cartridges look cool too! I know a guy that has 3 model 600's in his safe, I've been trying to pry one away from him forever. I'll be out there with a .25-06 AI in a week.

Iam taking my customized Weatherby Accumark with dessert camo stock, cerekoted metal, sweet triggr job and accurizing by Hill Co rifle, put a zeiss 4.5-14 on it with a Kenton industries turret, zeroed for 300 yards, 1.8 high @ 100, 2.5 @ 200, zero 300, and then turret dials out to 1000. Iam shooting the 80 grain ttsx. 2010 it put to sleep my bedded goat at 287 yards, I feel comfortable to 600 yards with this little TTSX and love the damage it does. Will be using it on with a WY and CO tag............Is it Oct yetgun)

Love the 7mm08 AI, nice rifle, that would be awesome for a deer rifle in a blind and treestand and with hold over hash marks or a turret its as long range as a rifle needs to be, nice rig!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts