Whooo Hoooo - Woof season starts!

Roy, glad you made it back to God's country. I am looking foward to your hunting exploits for woof and other critters. It just doesn't seem right for someone named royinidaho to be in New Mexico. Dont forget to put your location stamp back to the correct location now. Welcome home!

Jim

Well, I picked up my first copy of the wolf regs and was real disappointed to see the low quotas. I was also disappointed to see the season start in mid Sept which is prime rut season for elk and wolf pelts will be pretty poor. My guess is the quota will be met fairly quick. Ya think they would figure these things out. Wolf season should start in Dec and last until Mar and the quota should be a lot higher. Dont know why they are chrging $20 for a tag either. IMO, that's gouging. So I think I'll save my $20 this year and see how the hunt goes, if the judge doesn't stop it of course.

If it sounds like I'm venting, that's cause I am...:cool:

-MR

The Sept. date is in a few wilderness areas only the general opens on Oct. 25, I'm hoping they will be primed up by then. They will put on an extended season on in Dec. but the quota is lowered.
I wish you could get a second tag after shooting your first one, that way the guys who can kill them can kill more.
It will be interesting to see how the quota is filled, Idaho is not filling very fast, and some of the packs here have been shot enough already that they move mostly at night and stay well out of range, some of the ranchers here have had long range rifles built so they have already been educated on that.

Good article, but they find the pack and only kill one adult?

That 120 sheep were just a training excersise for the yearling wolfs on how to kill. The person in the article who never heard of that happening must have just got out of 9th grade biology to be that wet behind the ears.

They say Montana only has 500 wolves. Hell the dog runners in WI kill half that many every year, and we are still overrun.

The quota only gets filled if you report you killed a wolf, I think you guys should practice like those pups before your good enough to take one home.

The Sept. date is in a few wilderness areas only...

Hmmmm.... Ya know.... maybe I'll just get me a wolf tag and backpack back into the Beartooths with a wolf tag and elk tag. I am way behind on backpacking this year and with two tags to fill, I know a couple of good spots for wolves and elk near the Park.... and if I have my 300 RUM online by then, I could reach out and touch something.

Did anyone else hear about the 120 rams that were killed near Dillon a week ago?

Wolves kill 120 sheep at ranch near Dillon

A whopping 75 wolf quota? Gimme a freakin' break.

Heard about it, but this is the first article I read on it. That whole pack should have been wiped out. Now there are 5 young pups on the loose that have been taught at an early age how to wantonly slaughter livestock. Lunacy and madness.... absolutley ridiculous. Wolf worshipers.....

Just looking forward to see a thread or news about a wolf killed at long range by a fellow LRH member.
Good luck to you allgun)gun)gun)

Read the article, got irritated.

$350.00 paid to the rancher per dead ram is just bull crap. The loss of the breeding stock that has been built up over the years cannot be compensated for by a head or per pound market price compensation.

Visited with the ID F&G at the Eastern Idaho State Fair this afternoon. Still only 3 harvested. October 1st is comming quickly.

I have an elk tag and a woof tag.

Also while at the Fair went looking for a pack goat or two. There were none. Not allowed to use a pack dog when a woof is taken.:rolleyes:

The wolf hunt is what got my interest back as far as big-game hunting goes. I went out the second day they were available and bought a tag:

WolfTag.jpg

In all likelihood I won't see one, but if nothing else hopefully the money goes towards helping our states wildlife in some way. I have seen a wolf here in Idaho, I should say, and it was the first wolf in the wild that I had ever seen. HUGE describes it fairly well. A big black wolf along the clearwater around Lolo pass when we were coming back from turkey hunting in the Orifino area.

So guys, what load do I need in a .300 WSM for wolves?

So guys, what load do I need in a .300 WSM for wolves?

I'd do nothing different than for antelope, deer and elk, etc. No sense in wearing out a bore to work something different up for a wolf. It just throws more confusion into the equation.

Aim for halfway up just ahead of the last rib. That way the hole in the hide isn't very big.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.