Who uses push-button flush cup style of sling swivels?

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
I have been using this type for about 7 years.

The sling can be detached in about 2 seconds and reattached in about 2.5 seconds.

When removed, there is nothing left protruding from the stock that can interfere with your shot.

When you remove the rear sling attachment, you ensure that the (otherwise used) conventional sling stud does not ride up on your rear bag during recoil.

I don't know how I got along without them so long.

I use the Grovtec brand unit.

So I am just curious as to how many use them, how many know of them. Is there a trend to use them more often.

Attachments

• grovtec.jpg
    grovtec.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
I have some coming on my new stock. Should be here within the month. I did not know about them until I questioned Mcmillan.

Have you ever had an accidental detach?

I started using the Grove Tec flush cups last year. I have two sets (one set on bottom and one set on left side) of my Manners T-2. This lets me mount the sling to fit about any application. Like them very much.

Been using Grov Tec in all my rifles for a couple of years now and its the only way to go. We us Tab Gear biathlon slings to tote heavy rigs around. I have recently switched over to running XlR Industries chassis systems on my rigs with thier tactical butt stock that has a flush cup built in and one up front and have been super pleased. I am currently running a sling from Short Action Precision that is great with the XLR for positional shooting.

I also use this kind of attachment but from Recknagel. Sauer has them on all of their rifles... I have never had an accidental detach.

Be cautious of foreign stuff getting in them.

This condition has been known to cause rifle drops.

Happened to me twice in 20 or so years.

A noted gunsmith here cautions the use of them on heavy rigs.

Just say'n.

Been using them for many many years. In both bolt and AR type rifles. In ARs they are SOP for many. At least for me I have never had an issue with getting debris in there and having the rifle drop and I have had a number thru some serious muck in use and training. Usually if the sling is off then the rifle is not in the mud and gunk to begin with at least for me that is.. I can see it as a possible issue for people that pull their slings during hard use I have just never seen a reason to do this and in fact for me it would be the exact opposite.

I have had one come loose before when somehow the button got compressed and a bit later it fell out. Lucky for me it was the lower one and the strap got held in my gear so I could get my hand on it before it dropped. The ones I have now its recessed so I am not sure its an issue.

Have them on two stocks. Not a lot of field use yet. I don't use a bipod and getting rid of the sling studs when resting off the pack or sand/shooting bags is a plus. I like them and will install them on future stocks.

Any simple ideas as to how to install them on Bell & Carlson style of stocks? The aluminum support is deep enough in the foam that I'm not sure the threaded cup would screw into the aluminum rather than just rest in the foam.

I've been using the flush cups since 2004 on all my custom rifles. As noted, easy as pie to attach and detach. I've never had a failure of the swivels or cups in the 10 years I've been using them, and my rifles weigh in from 12-16 or so pounds. I carry these rifles hunting mule deer, antelope, and have even had them in the mountains of MT hunting elk. Again, no problems with the swivels or cups. All stocks so far have been McMillan.

Geb

Followup question....

For those who use flush cups, do you install on the bottom or on the sides?

I install mine on the sides.

By the way, when I see the traditional studs being used on the rear/bottom of the stock by a shooter in the field with a rear bag....I just shudder to think of the bumping conflict with the rear bag that must kill accuracy sometimes.

I am about to move forward with promoting their use by my rifle customers and to counsel them as to the availability as they are building a rifle with me.

I want my super accurate rifles to shoot as well as they can and not be limited by the old style of stud. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.