Flush cups pulling loose

arrow

I had my .243 get some work done by my smith. It has a McMillan htg stock. I have McMillan installed flush cups on the front and back. My smith installed some anchors into the stock to screw the flush cups into for added strength. I went to pick up my rifle and I was making sure the flush cups would hold. I clipped my sling into a flush cup and pulled pretty hard. And sure enough the swivel pulled out of the flush cup. I tried 6 different swivels and 5 different flush cups from two different manufacturers. They all pulled loose. Had anyone experienced this before? Like I said I was pulling pretty hard but I would expect sonething to break before the flush cup system would just let go. When I have about 4 grand in a rifle I would not want it flipping over backwards off my shoulder due to flush cup failure. Also we removed the screws my smith added to ensure the swivels weren't bottoming out on the screw. Anyone else experience this? I left the rifle with him and told him I'd call and let him know what I wanted to do. Standard studs? What are y'all using?

I am in no way bad mouthing McMillan. This is my 3rd personally owned McMillan stock as well as used them in the usmc. I have nothing bad to say about them. I am just looking for advice on where to go from here so I can tell my smith to get started.

I don't see him as bitch'in or whining, more like asking for advise for an alternative securement solution.

I'd be contacting MacMillan as well but the Internet is a good place to mine for ideas anyway.

Also I don't think it would be a bad thing to bring to peoples attension there might be some defects out there. If it was my product I would want it brought up to people's attention before one slips and a pretty custom rifle lands muzzle down on its delicate crown or crushing a schmit and bender or nightforce. Once again I'm not bad mouthing anybody I would just like to know what swivel systems others are using other than flush cups.

On the subject of expensive rifles, my thought is I want the least expense permissible in something I might use to slow my descent on a sidehill ooops, one reason I like a snot stock. Rifles get banged up with me.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.