Who here has an Outdoors Industry or Conservation Job?

brcfo_outdoors

Curious who on here has a job in the outdoors industry or conservation, could be government, private, self employed, or anything. What do you do and how did you get there? Thanks.

and why do you ask?

I sort of fell into my current industry (executive protection) and am trying to get out and pursue something I am more interested in and passionate about. I got into an online program to do some post baccalaureate studies in fisheries and wildlife management, but will freely admit I have never been the greatest student and its been about 9 years since I graduated with the criminology degree. I pursued game warden/conservation officer jobs for a while, even had a conditional offer, but nothing ultimately panned out. I am not interested in law enforcement anymore and wanted to see what other people had done to find success in this field. I feel like I always look sort of narrowly at just government jobs and want to see what other choices and opportunities are out there.

I sort of fell into my current industry (executive protection) and am trying to get out and pursue something I am more interested in and passionate about. I got into an online program to do some post baccalaureate studies in fisheries and wildlife management, but will freely admit I have never been the greatest student and its been about 9 years since I graduated with the criminology degree. I pursued game warden/conservation officer jobs for a while, even had a conditional offer, but nothing ultimately panned out. I am not interested in law enforcement anymore and wanted to see what other people had done to find success in this field. I feel like I always look sort of narrowly at just government jobs and want to see what other choices and opportunities are out there.
Good luck on your job search. I hope you find answers for your interest. You might check into wildlife agencies (state and fed) job openings to see various non-police activities that they surely would have openings anywhere in the US. Not many people for so many openings these days....

Good luck on your job search. I hope you find answers for your interest. You might check into wildlife agencies (state and fed) job openings to see various non-police activities that they surely would have openings anywhere in the US. Not many people for so many openings these days....
Thank you.

Governmentjobs.com is primarily where I have been looking, but its tough sometimes finding full time positions which aren't necessarily degree dependent. I have been applying specifically to predator management/depredation and human-wildlife conflict related jobs which is the area I am most interested in. I think inevitably I will end up having to do the online courses, although I don't relish the prospect.

Look at universities and programs in your area. The colleges heavily support the state and federal jobs. I worked as a timber inventory job on a Air Force base for a couple years right out of college.

Thanks

Buck

I have been a forester for 27 years. I graduated from the University of Georgia with a B.S. in Natural Resources with a concentration in timber management. I have worked for a integrated forest products company and a Timberland Investment Management Organization (TIMO). I have been managing timberland in some capacity for all these years. A forester manages the land to achieve the land owners objective while conserving and protecting the resource. This includes planning for harvesting timber, planting harvested sites back, road layout, and working to enhance wildlife habitat along with many other task. I have had the opportunity to work in the Pacific Northwest, California, most of the Southeast, and various states in North Eastern US. If you have college degree, you may want to look into getting your Masters in Forest Business. If not, you can also get a two year technician degree or a four year degree to become a forester. Please look at www.eforester.org The Society of American Foresters is our professional society. Please fell free to reach out to me if you have more questions.