which varment caliber?

firstcoueswas80

i am looking at a new varmint gun. i have it narrowed down to 4 calibers: 223, 22-250, 243, or 25-06. i live and hunt in arizona and it will be used for the coyote trips, prarie dog trips, maybe javelina and in a pinch, coues deer. the price is with in $30 for each just wondering what yall would go for?
Casey

it all depends on how much shooting you are going to do. if your answer is alot, then i would go with the .223 or .22-250. if this will be a back-up gun and used for longer shots, then go with the .243 or .25-06. i have currently or have used all of these calibers and depending on the range or size of your target they worked just fine for me. but here is the order i would vote. .25-06 reload 75gr bullets for varmints and 100-115gr for deer, then .243 same as .25-06 light bullets for varmints and heavier bullets for deer. then .223, easy on the shoulder for extented shooting periods and then the .22-250. have shot deer with both the .223 and .22-250, but there are better rounds for that size of game.

the 243 in a savage or rem will have the correct twist barrel to shoot the 105AMAX bullet. This bullet will give you reliable accuracy out past 1000yds and power up close to be a effective whitetail cartridge.

good luck
steve

I would also go with the 243. It is a great cartridge that will work for varmits and deer. I you can get one to be able to shoot the 105gr amax then you are shi-in in tall cotton. Then I would probably pick the 22-250 next. Have fun

I have shot and used all these calibers as well for yotes and squirrels. As well as my .220 Swift. My favorite for all around use has got to be my 25-06 though. When I reach into my closet for that 1 gun for yotes or deer, thats the one that goes. I am confident in all my rifles, but I just have a niche for the 25-06. With that said there are some points to be made. For longer range work, the 243 and 25-06 are superior because you can use heavier bullets with higher BC's. For volume shooting, your 22 calibers are going to be better. Less kick will help in a pdog town, however yote hunting, kick is not an issue. When I bought my .220 Swift, I was stuck on speed at the time. There is always tradeoff's for everything, you just gotta kinda figure out what you really want.

Yes, I also own and shoot all you mention on your list and have hunted extensively in Arizona.

For what you describe; [ QUOTE ]
coyote trips, prarie dog trips, maybe javelina and in a pinch, coues deer

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd suggest the 243, hands down, IF I didn't detect a low level of interest in coues (in a pinch) and javelina (maybe?)

Therefore, (and although it seems a little too light for your last two quarry) I think you would be well served with a 22-250 Remington.

Second choice is the 243, third is 25'06 and I'm not a very big fan of 223, at all, except as a moderate range squirrel cartridge.

Good luck, LB

Put me down as another who would avoid the .223 The only place it shines is for the availability of cheap factory ammo. The other three are far better for hunting. I'd go with the 22-250 or the 243 myself.

LB, coues are my priamry hunting target dont get me wrong! the gun is going to be a single shot and i have a 270wsm, 7mag, 270, 30-06 to hunt coues with and they are my primary coues guns in that order. i am looking at a new englad fire arms single shot and have those choices of calibers. alll though looking at my bank statement and with rent and bills being due soon, i think i am going to have to hold off!

I'm an old Javelina hunter from when I was young an dumber and lived in Las Vegas. We would just get off work on Friday and head down into Arizona looking for pigs. Sometimes even get a couple before dark or camp out where we saw some and hunt the weekend out.

Close shot is a rarity. You had to be good at glassing and then figure out how to get the sneak on them with the terrain. I only had my 26 inch barrel 270 win back then with a 4X12 scope. Later on I installed a 6X24 and Harris bipod.

They are a tough animal and I used 140 and 150 boat tails. I'd say that normal shots were in the 250-400 yard range unless you caught some feeding in a canyon wash an then you were shooting down on them.

I now own a 243 and I'm sure you could tack them on with 100's and 105's.

The 270 with 100 grains is an excellant varmint gun. My 243 I've also used the 70 grain TNT's on PD's.

All guns get hot so I always recommend the heavy longer barrels to get the most out of what ever caliber your using. For your big Nor Cal pigs I like a gun with more power. I've never owned a 25-06. The 270 can shoot a 100 grain bullet faster than the 25's 100 grain

If coues are your main target with this rifle I would say go with either the 243 or 25-06. Neither is a true varmint round but neither the 223 or 22-250 are true medium game rounds either. Better to be overgunned on varmints then undergunned on medium size game in my opinion.

Kirby Allen(50)

Get a VLS, VSF or VSSF II in 22-250 for coyotes and prairie dogs.
Buy a 2nd rifle in a heavier caliber (maybe a 308) for deer and pigs since you might hunt for them once in awhile. There's plenty of used bargains out there (you can never have too many guns...).

Red mist forever... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
i have a 270wsm, 7mag, 270, 30-06 to hunt coues with and they are my primary coues guns in that order

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I see why you did not place much emphasis on coues and javalina. Therefore, I think you have, at the most, two choices for prairie dogs and coyotes, 22-250 or 243; with the most logical choice being the 22-250.

Good hunting. LB

In a factory gun with little to no kick I just cant think of much better for long range varminting than the 243 with the 105 AMAX.

I shot a 22-250 for a LONG time and I absolutly love the gun, but on longer range (past 450yds) it cannot compare to the heavy 6mm bullets.

I now shoot a 25-06 with 125gr wildcats and it is a little too much for pdogs, but I bet it will flatten a OK whitetail. Only problem is it kicks a little in a medium wieght rifle.

Good Luck
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.