Which Caliber?

I love my 7mm-08. Not quite the punch of my big .30 cal but packs plenty of punch for anything in NA with Barns 140's and recoil is oh so sweet. I don't have a headache after 20 rounds at the range. I have a Lilja barrel on a Tikka T3 LH but I wouldn't be afraid to have Lilja build me a barrel for just about anything. I have 4 Lilja's that do very tight groups.

Agree completely with Jud96 on Peterson brass. If I can use Peterson brass, I just don't even consider any other. Great brass reasonably priced, consistent and more reload reps.

I would agree with almost everything you said and there is no doubt of the success of the 6.5/284. Where I disagree is with the "great case design". If it had a neck on it, it would be. A great case design would not burn a throat out as fast as it does with the bore/capacity ratio that it has. Just my 2 cents.
It looks like Rich Sherman is going to have to "Shermanize" the 6.5 x 284 for a long neck 6.5x284 Sherman for short action.

Last edited:
Agree completely with Jud96 on Peterson brass. If I can use Peterson brass, I just don't even consider any other. Great brass reasonably priced, consistent and more reload reps.
We use Peterson brass in everything we can. We started out testing it in my brother's 6.5 Creedmoor. Now we shoot it in my Dad's .308 and my .284, it's excellent. I'm planning to buy some for my .243 soon as well.

We use Peterson brass in everything we can. We started out testing it in my brother's 6.5 Creedmoor. Now we shoot it in my Dad's .308 and my .284, it's excellent. I'm planning to buy some for my .243 soon as well.
I've been having a great experience with 308 and 243 brass from Starline.

Jud96's .284 suggestion good too. I have a regular ole .284 with long throat that I had built for shooting 800-1000 yds. Can't go to the mountains with it because all in it weighs 22#. Fun to hear 800 yard targets consistently "ding" though. .284 Win is a great cartridge with bad timing to market in the mid 60's when introduced. Hopefully, it will make a come back after the 6.5 guys use the case to launch their pill and others see the light that it is great in 7mm too.

Keep it Simple !!! 270, 6.5X55 Sweed, 280 or 6.5-06. All effective appropriate and fit your long action. When its all said and done the 270 will do what you need your rifle for. The 6.5X55 would be fun to work with.

I have a few suggestions. since I own the exact same gun you do and love the gun as it sits, I would rebarrel it to 270 with a 1:8" twist just so you could utilize the 170 grain VLD slugs. second suggestion is to make it a 25-06 another highly effective cartridge. third suggestion is to make it a 6.5-06. all of these are great cartridges. I am partial to the 270 and the 25-06. I love both and have used them all over the western US and a few eastern US states.

I had been thinking about buying a 6.5 Creedmoor, however can you use a long action on a Creedmoor?

Short answer is yes. You may have to modify the magazine however as the Creedmore is a little larger in diameter. Something to discuss with a gunsmith.

I all reality the 6.5, 28, and 30's don't really do any thing the .270 can't do just as good. Not saying there bad because they are all very good calibers and cartridges. The .270 does not get the credit it deserves, it shoots a lot farther and flatter than what most think. If you really want to change barrels I'd go with a .270 with faster twist to get all you can out of the higher BC bullets. I have not did much studding on the Sherman cartridges but if you want some thing new but not a lot of work to make the brass the 270 Sherman looks like it would be fun. If you want a new caliber and want it for hunting and long range with easy to get components I'd go with the 30-06, but the .270 Win. will still do that too. But me being a gun guy I'd leave my first rifle a lone and buy another rifle, that way you would have two rifles to work with and enjoy and have fun with.

I all reality the 6.5, 28, and 30's don't really do any thing the .270 can't do just as good. Not saying there bad because they are all very good calibers and cartridges. The .270 does not get the credit it deserves, it shoots a lot farther and flatter than what most think. If you really want to change barrels I'd go with a .270 with faster twist to get all you can out of the higher BC bullets. I have not did much studding on the Sherman cartridges but if you want some thing new but not a lot of work to make the brass the 270 Sherman looks like it would be fun. If you want a new caliber and want it for hunting and long range with easy to get components I'd go with the 30-06, but the .270 Win. will still do that too. But me being a gun guy I'd leave my first rifle a lone and buy another rifle, that way you would have two rifles to work with and enjoy and have fun with.

I would either go with a 257 Roberts AI or 25/06 and use the new 131 gr. Blackjack for any realistic hunting range on deer. The 280 AI or 280 Sherman would be my choice for a 180 gr. Berger Hybrid. Both calibers won't let you down and the 25 caliber choice will get the job done with less recoil. I would not use anything less than the 280 AI for Bull Elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.