Which caliber?

There are plenty of .277 options for the 270 WSM and the hunting you are describing if you prefer a little less recoil vs 7rm and 28 nosler. Using the stock 1:10 twist barrel the 140gr Accubonds are a great option out to 700 yards. At an easily reachable 3100 fps the Accubond will deliver over 1200 ft-lb of energy out to 700 yards. This is a very comfortable round to fire and can deliver great accuracy. If you can utilize the pills being manufactured around 170grs the 270 wsm becomes even more attractive for long range hunting. That being said, you can't go wrong with the 7rm either. Another great option. If you get a chance, shoot and compare the three you mentioned. I end up taking the 270 wsm on deer and elk hunts as often as other calibers simply because it is comfortable to shoot without a brake and has never let me down.

All are going to work on deer. On elk, you basically have S, M, L options. Is this going to be a light gun? If you are going to shoot it a lot, the 28 in a light rifle may beat you up and the barrel will not last as long. If it is going to be a heavier rifle and there is a good chance you will use it on moose, then I would go with the 28. Just make sure you get a fast twist barrel that will stabilize the high BC bullets that you'll want to use.

Be sure to look at the twist rates. The 28 has 1:9, the 7rem 1:9.5, and the 270 1:10. It's all on the Browning sight, I've just been looking at the ne hells canyon speed long range models they released. I know it's not one of your calibers, but in the Browning factory gun, I prefer the 300 Win simply because the 1:10 twist lets me shoot the most efficient bullet.

Every option you listed will get you WAY out there on deer, but maybe not with the new EOL berger bullets.

Yeah, I forgot this started with you saying that you are looking at a factory rifle. That could be a limiting factor on the bullets you can stabilize. Some day these manufacturers are going to catch on and put faster twist barrels on the the guns they set up as "Long Range".

Browning does have a "X-bolt target McMillan A3-5" that actually has decent twist rates in a few calibers. 6mm creed 1:7.5, 6.5 creed 1:8, 7 Rem mag 1:8, but the 28 Nosler is still1:9 all according to their sight. But that gun is $2800. That's dangerously close to full custom territory.

If you want a tack driver in a 28 Nosler, I hear great things from Pierce Precision rifles, I believe Ryan Pierce is on this forum. You can check him out online, but I understand his rifles are going to be around 3200 - 3800 without optics, but what I am reading and seeing they are well worth the price.

28 Nosler would be my choice. I have a 7 STW and it's virtually a ballistic twin of the 28 Nosler. I absolutely love my STW, but would probably purchase/build a 28 Nosler if I was deciding today. It will outperform the RemMag and the 270 by a lot, and you can pretty much take any game animal in North America with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.