Which Twist for 6.5CM for not so long range?

Bigeclipse

All,
I am rebarreling my wife's savage lady hunter 7mm08 into a 6.5cm...this is her backup rifle to her main rifle which is shooting 7mm08 in 120s at lower end loadings (super accurate with light recoil)I believe they are going about 2800fps...? The reason for going to a 6.5creed for her backup rifle is she does not shoot ranges further than 300 yards so we can use bullets on the lighter side on whitetails to achieve similar recoil to her 7mm08 loads but offering her maybe better wind drift... and also just because we want a creedmoor added to the stable haha. I am thinking we will likely use 120grain 6.5 bullets going similar velocity to her 7mm08 which should yield a similar trajectory at 300 yards while keeping lower recoil. I am looking into criterion barrels. They offer 1-7.5 and 1-8 twist. Should I go with 1-7.5 just incase she one day wants to bump up into longer range shooting with a heavier 6.5 bullet? Will it work for 120 grain bullets? Any other thoughts to be aware of? Thanks!

In my opinion, the creed case capacity only warrants what a 1-8 twist would offer. But a 1-7.5 twist wouldn't be a big step and would be just fine.

You only need 1:7.5 if you plan on shooting the 150 smk or bigger. The 147 eld-m and under are just fine in an 8 twist. My criterion 8 twist shoots quite well with all bullets including the 150 smk(have not tested it at long range yet to see if it holds together)

You only need 1:7.5 if you plan on shooting the 150 smk or bigger. The 147 eld-m and under are just fine in an 8 twist. My criterion 8 twist shoots quite well with all bullets including the 150 smk(have not tested it at long range yet to see if it holds together)
Thanks. Good to know the 1:8 twist is good enough. I cannot imagine shooting anything heavier than the 140 for her anyway and she will likely stick with 100-120s since she will be targeting whitetails under 300 yards. Any particular bullets you would suggest at those ranges?

Do a 1:8, 6.5 Creedmoor is one of a few guns where 1 twist rate really does cover anything you need. I run 120gr Nosler ballistic tips over Varget or H4350, and you will get 2800fps (miimick your 7-08 loads) no problem and it will wreck anything that's in front of it.

My pet hunting load is about a grain below max (per Nosler) of H4350 at 2815 fps yielded ~.3-.4MOA with single digit SDs (I also had similar velocity and SD with Varget but appear to be higher pressure). I have killed whitetail as far out as 375yds and as close as 90yds with that load, all DRT. Shoots soft, minimal blast/recoil, I set the rifle up for my kids to shoot, but liked it so much that I take it myself regularly.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.