Which SWFA fixed magnification scope for a heavy varmint rifle?

I have two 10x's and started using their 16x last fall for shooting out to around 1000 on steel targets. The 16 is better. Topstrap over on rimfire central switched over to 20's for .22 rimfires. He has about 5 as I remember it. They are ideal for .22 rimfires that get a lot of dial turning.

A Gen II PST variable or Burris XTR would be my first choice, but better clairty isn't that important for what I am doing.

I'm pretty sure that scope in the link is not built by Swfa only sold by them. Falcon optics of falcon menace fame. Not a terrible scope but not swfa quality

I like your idea, I have built both 22-250ai and 22creedmoor in 1-8" twist barrels and the performance is identical for all intents and purposes. I get 3200 FPS with the 88gr eldm out of a 21" barrel. I shoot prairie dogs with a suppressor and highly recommend it! However you need to have a couple rifles on hand to swap out after about 20 rounds because they heat up fast. I run a fixed 10x42 swfa and a fixed 10x42 bushnell elite on a couple AR15s. I like the simplicity and reliability of the fixed scopes. The reticle in the SWFA is MOA and is brilliant. I don't think you can avoid mirage in the summer with any scope higher than 10x. However for the size of a prairie dog at 1000 yards i would want as much magnification as possible. I use Leupold 6.5-20x50 and 8-25x50 scopes on my prairie dog rifles. The mirage is just a reality of prairie dog season.

.....The mirage is just a reality of prairie dog season.......

A could reason to break for lunch!

Field of view gives me more issues. Mirage is real, but just as real at 16x as 20X.

"chucks, rats, or prairie dogs, in my mind force the issue of deciding if the goal is volume, or distance. Balancing it out is shooting long in the morning, and then getting out a volume set up.

16X generally gets me to about 600 yards, then my eyes need a little more.

Totally been there with a young family influencing the decisions.

I like fixed 10x for bolt 223s and 3-12 type magnification for semi auto 223s. 2-12, 3-15, that area.

Also, don't kill me, I prefer SFP for variables with 223. Inside 500 yards, I'm going for extreme accuracy and want thin crosshairs. There is wind, but it's not 1000 yards wind. My targets with a 223 tend to be small things like varmints that are very often thinner than the reticle of an FFP scope.

Well since you're trying to stay within 300 buck range or less maybe the fixed 12X or 16X is your best compromise. Unless you can use a holdover Horus type reticle instead of dialing. Then maybe a Primary Arms 4-14X R Grid might work. But I have no idea how good the glass will be. Some like them, some hate them.

Well since you're trying to stay within 300 buck range or less maybe the fixed 12X or 16X is your best compromise. Unless you can use a holdover Horus type reticle instead of dialing. Then maybe a Primary Arms 4-14X R Grid might work. But I have no idea how good the glass will be. Some like them, some hate them.

I would lean towards the 12x SWFA for the OP's intended purpose and budget. Mirage is definitely going to be an issue out past 800 yards, more often than not, even at 12x, particularly with the setup the OP described. 16x or 20x will only compound the issue. Running a 26" or longer barrel with high rate of sustained fire, is going to build a lot of heat right in front of his scope, even if he uses a cylinder contour. Unless he has enough discipline to substantially limit his rate of fire and runs a barrel shade on a shorter barrel than he initially proposed to use, or he uses additional rifle(s), he is going to experience issues with 16x or up scope. Also, his shooting position from a table/bench is fairly close to the ground with his targets being even closer. Throw in some higher ambient temperatures and 10+ mph winds, the combination of all these conditions is often going to cause some serious mirage dancing. If I were faced with a fixed power scope, I'd certainly sacrifice some magnification for lesser mirage shifting. I would even shorten my barrel to 24" maximum, and sacrifice the possibility of setting it back, just to help.

I believe the real answer is to first get a high quality variable scope in 4x to 6x low end magnification, that dials up to 20x to 24x at high end, and buy a decent buget sub-MOA guaranteed rifle to put it on, then build my dream rifle later, as funds became available. You may even be able to afford two rifles and put a SWFA fixed power scope on the second one! I've had excellent results from many Ruger American Predator rifles... I absolutely love my SWFA scopes, both fixed and variables.

Too bad I didn't see this post earlier. SWFA had a sale on two weeks ago for their SWFA SS 3-15x44mm scopes, with your choice of MOA-Quad or Mil-Quad reticle, $559.99 and a coupon for free S&H!

I'm pretty sure that scope in the link is not built by Swfa only sold by them. Falcon optics of falcon menace fame. Not a terrible scope but not swfa quality

The scope tube/body looks like a Primary Arms scope. The max magnification of 18x...seems one of Primary Arms scopes even has that same max power.

It doesn't look like a SWFA scope at all. Even the turrets don't look like their turrets.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.