Best magnification for fixed power scope? 300WM 200-1000yds

CarbonLead

So I had a savage 111 300wm given to me. I am playing with it some new stock threaded the barrel pillar and glass bedding it. I have recently purchased a SWFA SS 10x42 for my 223 and have been impressed with it. It has me thinking of a possible fixed power scope for this 300wm. My question is, as in the tittle, what is the better all around magnification for a fixed power scope? Mainly for hunting but some paper punching also for fun no competitions. Shots would be 200 and beyond. Probably all closer than 1000yds but that may not be out of the question. Thanks for the input!!

So I had a savage 111 300wm given to me. I am playing with it some new stock threaded the barrel pillar and glass bedding it. I have recently purchased a SWFA SS 10x42 for my 223 and have been impressed with it. It has me thinking of a possible fixed power scope for this 300wm. My question is, as in the tittle, what is the better all around magnification for a fixed power scope? Mainly for hunting but some paper punching also for fun no competitions. Shots would be 200 and beyond. Probably all closer than 1000yds but that may not be out of the question. Thanks for the input!!

Depends on shooter's personal preference and eyesight.

Most here can get away with 10X.

The 16X would be "my" min for the 1K yard endeavor.

You have a fixed 10x presently so you have some idea if its enough or not.

If Feenix isn't right about the 16x he's not far off.

No to be critical at all, just curious with all the advances, and flexibility of variable scopes, Why a fixed? Especially if its tasked as hunting optic.

You have a fixed 10x presently so you have some idea if its enough or not.

If Feenix isn't right about the 16x he's not far off.

No to be critical at all, just curious with all the advances, and flexibility of variable scopes, Why a fixed? Especially if its tasked as hunting optic.

Well I was looking and comparing prices on the variable scopes that I liked and prices of fixed power scopes. I was worried about focusing of the reticle and target but after messing with that SWFA I have on my 223 I am not all that worried about it anymore.

Well I was looking and comparing prices on the variable scopes that I liked and prices of fixed power scopes. I was worried about focusing of the reticle and target but after messing with that SWFA I have on my 223 I am not all that worried about it anymore.

Fair enough! Good Luck!

I am ok shooting steel with my 10x SS at 1000 yards. If I was going to try to hit clay pigeons or paper I would want more mag. I agree with ED and 16 power would be my choice for that criteria.
Anything higher and mirage gets severe for me..
I think a 12 power SWFA SS is about ideal for all around shooting..

I "think" I would feel more limited trying to hunt with a fixed 16x than I would feel limited trying to shoot 1000 yards at targets/steel with a fixed 10x.

The 10x would get my vote. I've put 10's of thousands of rounds through one out to 1000 yards. If target were only on the list, or maybe little critters in the bright sunlight, then I would probably recommend the 16x. I had a 16x on my Edge the first year I had it and it SUCKS in any lower light situation due to exit pupil size. It almost cost me a buck that I have on the wall. In early morning light I could see him walking across an open area naked eye, binos, and rangefinder @ 750 yards but couldn't make out crap through the scope. Lucky for me he came out 30 minutes later when the sun was up over the trees.
You already have the 10x, why not give it a try on the rifle before you buy. I might even suggest you put the 10x on the .300 and get a 6x for the .223 (depending on what your intended goal is with that rifle). That is if you want to stay with fixed or on a fixed income. If money were the problem then believe it or not there are a few good variable scopes out there in that price range.
Check these out
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/77...ics-_-772363&gclid=COP2gviJt88CFZM8gQod8xkBbQ

https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-super-slam-riflescope-2-10x42mm-bdc-reticle-matte.html

I have several SS 10x and one 16x. The 16x is poor in low light and the eye box is very critical. It is fine for targets but I don't hunt with it. I have used the 10x at targets out to 1000 yards and beyond. For hunting, I think the 10x is ideal.

All my LRH rigs which have Nightforce and Huskemaw variables to 22x amd 20x respectively, are generally kept on 10x. The bulk of my hunting shots occur at less than 600 yards and FOV is much better for pinpointing game at 10x. I crank up to high power if there are issues with brush or other obstacles to a clean shot but generally have no problem shooting to 1000 at 10x.

Last edited:
I have several SS 10x and one 16x. The 16x is poor in low light and the eye box is very critical. It is fine for targets but I don't hunt with it. I have used the 10x at targets out to 1000 yards and beyond. For hunting, I think the 10x is ideal.

I think you're fundamentally correct, the difference in how one frames the question is the difference in the answers so far.

"Hunting and targets" or "Targets and shooting". I answered 16x as one should be shooting a bunch to warrant long range hunting.

The issues of field of view, low light, eye box, flexibility etc, are real. Between my eyes aging, and the type of shooting I do through the year, the increased magnification is more useful to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.